Implemented Surf: Improvement suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions (archive)' started by Chewyy, Nov 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewyy

Chewyy Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Update on current bugs and suggestions

Current Bugs:

The checkpoint function [FIXED]

• The first 10 cps work fine, but every cp after the 10th is messed up and got wrong speed, wrong direction,.. And 10 cps are by far not enough to learn more advanced maps. [FIXED]
    • Another Bug is that your cps sometimes get reset when you fail and get ported to the startzone. CP's should never get reset. [FIXED]
    • It would be nice to set a cp while spectating someone, so you can use the persons location/speed. [FIXED]

The Bonus Bugs [FIXED]

• When you are in a bonus 2,3,4,5,... the middle hud shows ranks and records of bonus 1. That should be fixed so it shows the ranks/records of the bonus yuo are currently in. [FIXED]
    • !b2wr / !b2top, !b3wr / !b3top,.... all show top times for bonus 1, that should also be fixed [FIXED]
    • !b2 ports you to bonus 2, but !b 2 with a space ports you to bonus 1. The space method should also work, since most players are used to that command and can get confused. [FIXED]

Current Suggestions:

WR Bot [SOON]

• For those who dont know, a "WR-Bot" is a Bot that constantly displays the current Record of a map. People can spec the bot to see the way the record was done. Since over a month the status is "Soon"...

Stage Records [CANCELLED FOR NOW]

This is the next step to more competitive play, lots of other servers already implemented stage records, recently Surf Heaven added them too.

There are a lot of things that need to be considered to make this work correctly:

• The stage time starts when you leave the startzone of a stage and stops when you enter the next stage.
    • Stage startzones need a prehop limit (maxspeed 260), this would be my job to set these limits on every staged map
    • Note: Prehop limit does not affect stages with telehop!
    • After you finish a stage you stage time is shown in chat, compared to the curretn stage record and your personal record for the stage.
    • You dont have to do stage records in a run. You have to be able to use !s 3 for example and go to the stage and the time counts your stage time.
    • You need to be able to check the top times of a stage, example commands !ts 3 (top stage 3) or !top #3 (thats the ksf way)

WR/PR Checkpoints [CANCELLED FOR NOW]

• Should work on both staged and linear maps ( I already put checkpoint zones on almost any linear map)
    • The WR/PR comparisson gets displayed in chat. Example. [Timer] Checkpoint 2 00:23.87 (WR +00:01.69 | PR -00:00.99)
    • Your PR is your personal all time best and NOT your best run of the current rotation.

Public Server for t4+ maps [CANCELLED]

• Right now tier 4+ maps are only available for donators and top 100 players. This is imo unfair towards other players. And why should we "hide" lots of good maps for the average player
    • Nobody wants to play those maps? Nope, t4+ servers are booming right now. Surf Heaven, CGN, and others have servers like that and they are always filled well.
    • Compromise would be to make it t1-6 so that any map is available on it, also easy ones, that way players decide themselfes.
    • I think ~20 slots would be enough, and it should atleast be tested before my suggestions gets denied.

Changelog command [IMPLEMENTED]

• Maps frequently get changed, bonuses get added and other stuff. It would be nice to have a ingame command, lets call it !changes that links you to a forum post with recent map changes, adding of maps/bonuses, resets and so on. I would volunteer to update this changelog since i am the one making the changes. Should be added, cause visibility is important to others.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  2. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Most of the stuff won't happen soon.
    Will look into the bugs.

WR bot - I know, "soon", but this isn't quite an easy task - especially since the performance issues are still there. As long as Valve doesn't update their Linux binaries so that servers running on that OS are also playable, this won't come.
    Stage records - I also don't see this happening (soon). You technically have to make an entire new plugin + require large parts of the core for that.
    WR/PR - we already had that suggestion.. you said "not needed" - what now?
    Public server - tried, didn't work. It gets harder every day to populate servers, even more since Valve hates comm. servers apparently. No to that.
    You could make a topic in the information section, will add a web shortcut to them once the thread is up.

3. montyyy

montyyy Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Thanks alot for the !cp fixes, it drove me crazy. essential patch!

Is there any ETA on the Linux Binaries from Valve tho?

4. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Nope, they occasionaly update them, might be this month, might be never.

5. montyyy

montyyy Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    de_liberation2

if failing bonus2, you get ported to stage 6 of the regular map

6. Darkregen

Darkregen Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Now, since theres over 100 posts on this thread and i cant be bothered to look at all of them, this is not a surf suggestion, but i thought it might be close enough.

A BHOP server? I personally play a lot of bhop, and it would be awesome to possibly be able to play on a BHOP server made by FoG, aswell as i have basic if not a bit advanced knowledge about Bhopping, where i would be able to assist.

I'll leave it at that.

7. montyyy

montyyy Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    years ago I played bhop but I agree, might be fun. Would be a nice alternation to surfing, even though it's not as much fun as surfing :p

might be a thought worth.

8. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Please make a seperate thread for that, this thread is reserved to surf only.

9. Darkregen

Darkregen Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I will do so when i arrive at my computer. As im on my phone making such a thread would take ages.

10. TheUberGamer

TheUberGamer Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Is it possible to fix the arrow glitch on jailbreak? I some people might be mad at me for mentioning this, but considering that being in the BLU team is already a hard job, and adding an arrow doesn't really help. It's less annoying then the gunslinger glitch but still it's a thing that should be removed, so the BLU team doesn't have two mental breakdowns.

11. montyyy

montyyy Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    wrong Thread, here you go: Suggestions

this is the cs:go surf server thread :p

12. Downie

Downie CEO of Downcorp Retired Staff Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    As said above, this thread is for the csgo server. Please make a suggestion at Suggestions so it's located correctly.

I've also updated the title so its somewhat clearer that this thread is for the surf server.

13. montyyy

montyyy Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Voice chat is just annoying shit. So here's an improvement suggestion:

Forbid Potatos to use the voice chat / mic. It's mostlikely them spamming the voice chat. There's no admin activity on the surf server since we only have Tris at the moment and voice chat is literally ebola right now. Sure, I could use voice_enable 0 - But sometimes there is fruitful conversations which I don't wanna miss.

14. Chewyy

Chewyy Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Some new suggestions:

- Add a sidehud with information about timeleft, spectators, PR and WR. The sidehud should be customizable so you are able to hide certain infos if you dont want to see them. Example of how it could look: SIDEHUD

- The timer message in the chat after you finish shows the difference to the WR with 3 decimals, 2 is really enough and 3 only get you confused. Also the colour could be changed from white to grey to make it easier on the eyes and not blend in that much

- Show !top and !wr like on ksf, with the time compared to wr. Example: TOP or TOP

- The playerinfo could need a little revamp, example of good playerinfos: PLAYERINFO

- Mapinfo could also need a revamp. Possibly sorted like this:

Mapname: surf_reprise
    Maptier: 2
    Author: Pred

Type: Linear
    Number of stages: (only when map is staged)
    Number of bonuses: 2

- Add a !mrank command that shows your time and rank in chat, example: "Chewyy is ranked 3/4093 on surf_beginner with a time of 00:46:98"

- Add prestrafe. Prestrafe makes you gain speed from strafing as soon as you jump of in the startzone. Note, this has nothing to do with prehop.

- Also i would love to have a tool that lets me change the direction someone is looking. On many staged maps you spawn on the next stage with your back turned to the ramp. This is somehow fixable cause other servers have it too.

- Add a vote extend for Donators. With the command !extend then can start a vote to extend the map by 10 minutes. If more than 50% vote yes, the map will be extended

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  15. Trisstar

Trisstar Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
  16. Chewyy

Chewyy Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
  17. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    1st: not possible in CS:GO, CS:GO only has support for the center hud and menus, but menus are already used for other stuff.
    2nd: Will look into that
    3rd: Will look into that
    4th: There is no real use in it, we have !stats with a lot more information. Not really worth the effort.
    5th: May look into that, but there is currently no way to get the author of the map without setting it manually for each map (and modifying the database)
    6th: Might look into that.
    7th: Won't come, I am quite bad with vectors on that.
    8th: Atm not fixable, the plugin doesn't even save the eye angles of the zones, only two points of their position.

As for montyy's suggestion, there currently is no working voice chat extension (at least which doesn't crash the server each day).

18. Chewyy

Chewyy Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Hmm, Surf Heaven has a sidehud, thats why i thought its possible.

I would set that manually, that wouldnt be a problem.

This could be done pretty easily. You can set the maximum number of prehops in the startzone to 1 and change the maxspeed to 350. That way you cant prehop but prestrafe, thats how ksf does it atleast.

I gonna look how other servers handle this, maybe there is another way

19. montyyy

montyyy Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Chewyy probably suggested this one already, but I'm really missing the WR Bot, which shows the latest WR done on the map.

Is that possible? Sorry, if this was already suggested and denied.

20. Chewyy

Chewyy Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep

SOOOOOOON

i would really love a bot too. Could be tested on top 100 server first if it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.