Declined Suggestion for a new rule

Discussion in 'Suggestions (archive)' started by The Acidic Ham Man, Jul 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Acidic Ham Man

The Acidic Ham Man Legacy Admin

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    So, recently I was playing on jailbreak, where a person had joined with my exact same profile picture and username, and started spamming "F.UCK THE ADMINS" and being overall toxic. We eventually all started votebanning and it turned out to be the wrong one; as in me. This indicated to me that heavy impersonation of any person should not be tolerated, and to see that the impersonator only received a 1-day ban for toxicity really just annoyed me as we both eventually received the same time length of a ban. This is why I am making this post, to stop this from happening, as it's something that is really shocking and can be even worse when any admins aren't on, (luckily Roddy was on at the time witnessing this) so I really hope that this is implemented as a general rule to prevent this. I have the profile link for the impersonator which I will not share, but if asked by any admins if this rule is implemented I shall.

2. The Acidic Ham Man

The Acidic Ham Man Legacy Admin

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Side note: I have been unbanned, thanks roddy and ax!
    Side note #2: Also I am now aware you can obtain player information on the bans list.

3. dino

dino get out of report Legacy Admin

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    If you alter 1 thing or make it 1 symbol different, the namechange script wont detect it. Just try to voteban someone by id (type status in console) instead of using names which are less reliable. Match the id with the steam id of the user in question and voteban using that method.

4. ♡ pie ♡

♡ pie ♡ 死に生きる Legacy Admin

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    This has happened numerous times without fail due to dumb people or actual name changing hackers, though this can always get nitpicky much luck some other rules. We keep it admin based not only because we're staff, but because we're most recognizable among others (as far as I know), meaning that there are less of us admin : player based. We see a lot of regulars with similar names, though most of the time users have such weird and creative usernames that they always stick out (acidic ham man, yperz, big boss birb, and a lot of other JB kiddos). This could be taken wrongfully as there are some people with the same or very similar names--disregarding profile pictures entirely as they don't show up on the voteban menu.
    If anything I think we should just make the votebanning system clearer, i.e. showing player Steam IDs (as if people would actually check that though), the number of points from the game so far, or maybe have some sort of system/plugin that prohibits same-name users (as in instantly jumbling a user's name similar to the /rename command admins do, which could also maybe help with name changers?). Nevertheless, a lot of things could be abused from the rules already given or any new suggestions members may have. I definitely appreciate your input though, as I too would like to see some sort of change that could benefit admins/players as well as protecting them from any sort of unfair voteban.

tldr; Possibly have a plugin that automatically jumbles a player's username if it's exactly the same as someone elses? Protect players from unfair bans? Additions to the voteban menu (Steam IDs or points in server so far)?

5. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Highly doubt modifying the voteban menu would help that much, considering most people aren't even able / unwilling to read votes properly.
    Similar story for a rule, it's useless if nobody is on to enforce it (so basically nothing would change).

Marking this as denied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.