Declined Removing Random Crits and Damagespread from Mario Kart

Discussion in 'Suggestions (archive)' started by Konsta, Jun 28, 2014.

?

Remove Crits and Damagespread?

1. Yes

18.2%
  2. No

81.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Namaco

Namaco Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I thought we were discussing about random crits.

2. Konsta

Konsta Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    The server already has unlimited ammo for all weapons. This shows that it doesn't really mind minorly altering the balance between weapons. It's not like removing random crits would completely shatter all balance; I don't think a single weapon is banned in competitive only because it would be OP in a nocrit-environment.

3. Namaco

Namaco Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Just quoting myself..

4. Konsta

Konsta Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Actually I do feel a bit bad about killing someone with a crit. Knowing that you got the kill purely because you outplayed them feels much more satisfying than just beating them with RNG.

5. Konsta

Konsta Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I just explained it... Maybe you should read my post again?

6. Namaco

Namaco Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I don't wanna quote myself again.

7. Konsta

Konsta Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    It's not like removing random crits would completely shatter all balance; I don't think a single weapon is banned in competitive only because it would be OP in a nocrit-environment.

Did you even read that part?

8. PrinterPlayer

PrinterPlayer Member

I think things are fine the way they are. I don't know man, I just don't see enough people wanting this changed for it to be a real issue. That's just my opinion anyways.

~ jake

9. Donald

Donald Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Let it stay

10. Konsta

Konsta Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    What a great argument, you really added a lot to the discussion.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  11. Donald

Donald Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I do not think i'D have to add anymore discussion to this topic other than giving my vote because of the previous reasons/discussions if you'd read the front page. There's no reason to have the same answer multiple times. So yes,i added alot to your vote,but not to your discussion as it already has been answered.

12. Doktor kengineer

Doktor kengineer Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Nice to see TF2's most Controversial topic is living up to it's expectation.

The reality behind Random Critical hits is kind of sketchy, since the definition of 'random' is a little one-sided. Essentially the more damage you do the more likely you are to do a critical hit, only by a small margin of course, the standard critical hit chance is 2.5%, the more damage you do the more likely you are to get a higher chance, 200 damage will equate to 4.5% increase for a certain amount of time, the highest a player can get for primary weapons is 12%, secondary is 14% (I think, unless it uses the same formula as the primary), while Melee gets a 60% increase. So one pubstomping player is going be more likely to critical hit the people he's already demolishing. And as such, encourages spawncamping if 3 competent players just gank at the opposing spawn.

So overall it's a dice throw, random critical hits do occur outside of the above formula depending on the weapon, (Single shot weapons, rocket launchers, revolvers, so forth.) To which I'd say I'd agree in having them removed, if two full-health soldiers start fighting each other, the outcome of the fight should be who is better at playing said class, not the guy who got lucky and managed one-shot the other. Getting a critical hit on someone is satisfying sure, but the other player is going feel cheated due to them not having anyway to really counter-act it and suffer from equal frustration.

Damage Spread on the other hand is just terrible. To me it always seemed like a hold-over from the days of Pen and Paper RPG, since there was a lack of mechanical skill involved, they needed a way to make damage interesting so chance was used instead. It works in some games sure, XCOM for example. But it just doesn't sit well with TF2 at all, and even then it's so minor that I doubt it'd be much of a detriment to the fun factor of the game to the point where if it was silently removed alot of players wouldn't even notice. If random elements can be removed without it impacting how enjoyable the game is to play then it should be for the sake of making competitive more fair.

But let's face it, we're talking about Mario Kart where everyone just plays Sniper or Spy anyway so what does it matter, right?

13. Tri.

Tri. Legacy Management

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    In all fairness -
    "IT'S THE GAME "
    "They're are here for a reason."
    and dont forget "random crits are balancing the game."

Is all I can see in the frontpage and overall in this thread.

It is not real competitive, but it's called like that because both teams want to show which the better team is.
    Do you think this is possible with a random-factor which influenced the game like that? Think about it.
    If you're playing mario kart or supersmash bros, do you turn on all items to show who the better player is?

If it isnt like that, stop calling 2fort and any other server "competitive" or "serious", for the love of god.

And I believe most of the people here talking dont even know how the game is when the crits are off.
    I played both, on the same server, crits on and then crits off - with the same people. You won't believe the differences =D

At the other hand, I talked with noname a while ago about turning crits off, he told me that the server could lose at popularity or something, could be possible or not, I dont know.

And looking at this poll now, it's more like that many people are just saying "yes, crits are here."

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  14. Donald

Donald Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I've played on servers with crits on and off, and i must say Crits are alright, they can fuck you up but they can also save you so i'm not complaining. Also, if people wanted to play on crits off servers they'd do that, as there are alot of mario servers with crit off & are actually quite good/as good as FOG.

15. Pruu

Pruu Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Not a particularly good idea given the base of MK; pretty sure 90% of players on there just want to play TF as is, crits are one of the main stand-by means of most newer players - it's a casual server where competition is generally between one or two players due to dominations etc.

Either way, I don't even tend to die a ton with crits on - play without crits and you start to deprive your skill of how to deal with it.

Crits give the game a little 'excitement' and broaden a few aspects of gameplay, without those you start to get a very bland experience.

-1 I really don't find this to be a problem at all.

16. Wandolf

Wandolf Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Okay, yes random critical hits are a part of the game, but that doesn't mean they're fair. They're not, getting lucky crited by a shotgun shell from the entire map isn't fair nor is it balanced, crits are just there to keep the pace of the game fast.

Also, Mario Kart (or any FoG server for that matter) is just a server for messing around. You're not gonna find any pros on them.

So, in conclusion, crits aren't fair but they're necessary and they shouldn't be removed from a server unless a tournament or something is going on.

17. Jozan

Jozan Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Pruu sort of beat me to it, but I'll elaborate my opinion.

First off, props to Kengineer to bring out the information saving us all time to go to the wiki and do it ourselves.
    Personally, crits never was an issue for me. Sure it's a roll of dice that's random and often leads to moments where either you or your enemy gets completely decimated because of the lucky critical hit. Was it lucky? It's random, so yes. Was it fair? Being random, it could had been you who fired off that critical rocket as well.

To be honest if you ask me, crying about random crits is like crying about a monopoly player getting high numbers on his dice throws.
    Imagen playing monopoly without dice. Pretty bland if you could 'choose' with ease how far you could go each turn.

18. Tri.

Tri. Legacy Management

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Eh
    1st: nobody is crying, it's just a matter here we can think about?
    2nd: Monopoly =/= TF2.

I am just stating how the things are, no tears. I still dont even care if crits are getting removed or not.

19. Jozan

Jozan Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Don't be so quick to jump the guns then, given that you believe I said TF2 = Monopoly because it wasn't a comparison of games, but of "chance".

Much like in monopoly you roll either high, medium or low numbers; you constantly roll whenever you fire your weapons for random crits to proc. As Kengineer said, this increases very slightly as you do damage.

From a mathematical aspect; if you're getting the crits, you are most likely already on a roll.

20. Mundy

Mundy Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    What if I told you guys, that Team Fortress 2 isn't made to be an fair game?

(look at all the uncrating videos on youtube)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.