Move forum games?

Discussion in 'General' started by Downy, May 11, 2014.

?

Move forum games?

1. Uh, yes.

40.9%
  2. God no.

59.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ninja Otter

Ninja Otter Cunt Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    not worth it but would be funny to see everyones posts drop

2. Downy

Downy Retired Staff Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Do remember that they will still be there, the posts just won't count.

And Jozzeh, please let others voice their concerns and opinions without you constantly pressing yours.

3. Jozan

Jozan Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I'm not pressing my opinion here really. And I don't hinder anyone else from voicing their opinions on the matter either.

But you know it's true, really. It's not needing to be moved. The whole thread is based off a concern that is not a problem to the forum or anyone.

4. Downy

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    It is in fact a problem.
    As I have voiced many times, the forum games are increasing the posts to a level where it's considered spam.
    The solution is to no longer count posts in the forum games section but still show it in the top10 and other lists.
    This way you'll maintain maximum fun and minimal spam.

5. Jozan

Jozan Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    That doesn't make any sense.

You mean by basically removing it being a post-increasing matter, it would no longer be spam.
    Even if it is spam, how is this a problem? It's not negative spam either; it's people enjoying the thread.

As Pruu said: "Really, forum games aren't below sort of material - whilst it could be classed as 'spam', it's more of a community effort to keep some sort of activity running."
    There is zero reason as to changing the mechanics of the forum games - it doesn't qualify as shitposting because the forum game rules are being followed.

Spamming postcount would be more into the lines of posting 10 times without much difference in a normal thread, not participation of a forum game.

Besides, high post count is an attractive sight for newcomers, raising the question further.

Also, is there a reason why this poll is private?
    It's a rare occasion to see 10+ votes. Nonetheless on a matter such as this.

@Spartan@Spartan

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2016
  6. Downy

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    The private poll is a mistake on my end. I don't believe I can change it but n0name should be able to see who voted. I understand your suspicion, though.

The rules are being followed, indeed. This is me trying to change them.
    You can still enjoy the thread as much as you did the weeks before this change, the only thing that is going to change is that any posts in there will no longer count towards your post count.

To be honest, I really don't see the problem you appear to have with this change.

7. Jozan

Jozan Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    It would lower the visual activity on the forums, simply put. And what forum wants to look abandoned?
    We're already not that many people here given we have 300,000+ members in our official group.

Why are you intent on changing this? You never had an issue with this earlier, it has always been "spammy" like it is.
    This thread should had existed earlier if you were truly concerned with a real problem.

Don't fix what's not broken.

8. Downy

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Hardly. The thread still shows up in the top 10 lists. The only thing changing are the inflated post counts, now it'll only show posts not consisting out of three words or less.

9. Jozan

Jozan Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    That's ignoring the post-counter.

Higher numbers are more attractive to newcomers. They really go long ways to make someone see that our forum is active. Remember?

Again, don't fix what's not broken. I save my suggestions for something new or for a real problem.

10. Downy

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    The only thing that is going to change in the top poster's list is that a few people change positions. N0name is still there ruling the list with Spartan on his heels. The high numbers are still there. The top threads list still contains the 1800+ post thread and all the others.

11. Jozan

Jozan Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    There's still no clear point as to why this should happen. Your suggestion wouldn't make a difference, it'd then look like only a couple of select people post rather than several people. Are you running out of cards?

Make of it what you want, but I've yet to be presented with a strong argument that says why it would be necessary.

12. Spartan

Spartan Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Well, when your not even playing the games correctly and are just using it for spam purposes it really should not keep going in the latest posts sections as it spams it and we can not see some of the latest threads that may be interesting because of you guys spamming the games sections, the three word game originally was made so you would make a story continuing from the last points, like one upon a time. In a far. Away land there. etc and now it is just random, the game itself needs to be closed if you can't play it right.

And seriously, I am interested in the forums threads that actually mean something so I want it moved.

13. Fin

Fin Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Hmh. I'll stand on the side of "God, No". True, that the post-counts get inflated from these forum games, true that they press out the newer posts fast, but then again, they've never really bothered me while I've been here, actually following them has made my time here much more enjoyable.

Sometimes this place is like a graveyard, even for many days. These games make it more lively quite fast and when people notice that the topics are moving, ZAP, we have more activity.

EDIT: 0e2ddeddebf0ef592b01de1b406a840b.png
    40fffa67398c30af6f2b38b878035b8d.png
    5dbd99e44206e4b0948fa2a60d6ee2ba.png

But because of this shit. We should delete all posts since page 70 from "Three Words Game"
    Or just shut the shit down. But other forum games still have a meaning.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  14. Darkregen

Darkregen Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Well, first of all it keeps the forum active of some sort, and it is only posts, if it is, make a "ignore thread" button or something.

Really i dont mind.

As long as my posts stay the same <.<

15. cheatnow

cheatnow The desert fox Legacy Admin

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    /care
    Neutral on this

16. Tri.

Tri. Legacy Management

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Okay how about:
    Make an Off-Topic Section
    The Posts there will be counted
    The Threads in the Off-Topic Section won't show up at the latest Posts

All happy?

yes/no/maybe ?

But yea, you have a point, if the game isnt played correctly it should be closed.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  17. Jozan

Jozan Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Three word game is played by posting three words to continue a story.
    Take a second look, the people are playing it right.

Now this is actually the best suggestion I've heard yet.

Don't do anything to the thread, rather give everyone the option to ignore a thread, make it not appear for whoever wishes to not see it.

18. Downy

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Exactly the reason I won't count your vote.

19. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    The Problem with the TWG is less that the posts aren't really useful, but rather that it got derailed into a shitposting topic recently.

20. Jozan

Jozan Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Last time I looked, it's being played the way it's meant to be.

I thought shitposting was more into the style of posting something "uncontributing" into a more serious thread, not a forum game where posting three words alone is a rule in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.