Matchmaking is coming to Team Fortress 2

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by Sky, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sky

Sky Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Matchmaking is coming to Team Fortress 2 - PC Gamer

EDIT: Question, why doesn't the [video] [ /video] thing work anymore?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  2. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Also, hoping that Valve somehow re-enables traffic for community servers.
    If not, I am going to hate them forever.

3. duke

duke Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I am really looking forward to this actually. I watched the video this morning. I just hole Valve get it done in a reasonable time. I have never played competitively, dipped my toe in over at tf2center. But never actually tried a competitive game though. So this might be a good introduction to that for people like me at least. And if it is done right. Surely it will get more people interested in the game. Especially considering how much people seem to enjoy it in CS:GO etc.

People like stats and people like winning and thats what a matchmaking system could add without the hassle of using third parties. But I suppose, it all depends on how well its implemented. Will there be a white list? Will it only be 9v9? Will there be class locks? Weapon locks? Who knows, it might even spur them on to make more of an effort to balance more weapons. Anyway, whatever the case, it certainly seems more promising than a 5 buck duck counter.

4. xxsam

xxsam Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Not trying to say competitive TF2 isn't important - it is should they want the game to continue - its just it doesn't feel competitive without a team who exactly knows how to play their class and role. Example, 6v6 arena, 5 people know what's going on, but there's that one Russian who picks Spy and dies immediately, for example. Its harder to comeback in TF2, than lets say CS:GO or Dota 2. In CS:GO, if you're good enough, you can ace 1v6, or in Dota, where Rapier-Rapier-Rapier-Xin can easily take on a full team of underlevelled enemies. I don't see that happening in TF2, since the 1v6 could be Scout vs Heavy-Medic-Soldier-Demo-Pyro-Medic, where the Scout will lose, either to death or objectives.

Do I like the idea in theory? Yes. In practice? I don't see it working out.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  5. Wandolf

Wandolf Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Well, it's a neat idea that came at least five years too late.

6. duke

duke Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Theres been some more news on this. An article here . It basically says that matchmaking will be limited to 6v6 cp format, with there likely be no limit on classes or items, at least at first. Its most likely a year out anyway. So this might all change.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  7. Dlauck

Dlauck Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Have you played matchmaking in csgo you get pair up with any one I get like paired up with people speaking a different language.

8. Polygone

Polygone Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    3 Rapier Ember Spirit vs underfarmed team is a comeback?
    That's some 1K MMR shit.

I just hope they put regionlock or something on, I don't want the 200ping "pro dendi" in TF2, please.

9. Cobalt

Cobalt Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Yes, region-lock options for advanced matchmaking options are a bit of a must. Otherwise we'll see US players being routed to Australia, and nobody likes 500+ ping...

10. Another Mundy

Another Mundy Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Matchmaking is something that COULD make Team Fortress 2 come back to life, but I'm not sure if there will be a lot of people playing at the day they'll release it... Also, I wonder how they'll balance it, like ETF2L did or something? I really hope there won't be access to ALL the overpowered weaponry on competetive, since noone'd play those. People would much rather go for tf2lobby...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.