Declined [CS:GO] Updated donator version of paint

Discussion in 'Suggestions (archive)' started by Rizor, Nov 13, 2017.

?

Would you like paint to be updated?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rizor

Rizor eZ Retired Staff Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Hello again,

so back in July I suggested to add the paint feature for our donators which got a really positive feedback:
    https://forums.f-o-g.eu/threads/suggestion-new-vip-feature-paint.14362/

Now unfortunately I saw that the better paint version was released 1 month afterwards:
    https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=2541664

The reason why it is better than the current laser version:
    You can actually draw it on every entitiy. The laser sometimes pierces walls or doesn't stick to some ramps. Sometimes where they are needed the most like on surf_acp (S7).

Would be really happy if this could be exchanged. Just need to make sure again that it is only visible for yourself and the ones spectating you + that there is a !pclear function. Sorry for the additional effort this is going to make but it is definitely worth it otherwhise I wouldn't have brought that up.

PS: Would love to have that feature on the arena server then aswell for donators :p

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  2. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Unfortunately, the version suggested requires extra downloads (56 files), as the paint balls themselves are seperate sprites.
    Don't really want to add additional downloads.

3. Rizor

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Well I guess each size/color has a different sprite? We could reduce the amount of sizes and maybe colors aswell then?
    Even though I do understand to keep the downloads to a minimum. This is not a "troll / fun" feature it does actually serve a real purpose. Therefor we should still upgrade this even though we will have a few more downloads. I know we argument quite often about the size/amount of downloads and most of the time we come to the conclusion that it is not worth it but in this case I have to say that the use > additional downloads.

4. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Just a small update on this.
    Will try to start working on this the coming or next weekend, plugin will be on all servers except 1-2 (server has been struggling lately).

5. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Seems like this is not going to properly work..
    The way the paint "balls" are set up does not allow them to be deleted afterwards, they can only be hidden (more or less), probably causing performance issues/crashes.

I also looked into the source code of the plugin, and they way in which it does the target surface tracing is the same as in the plugin we currently use.

6. Rizor

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Is it possible to try it out. Would like to see how it deals with the surface for example on surf_acp. And how the "hide" looks like.

Update:
    1) Visible for yourself
    2) Only visible for your current spectators while you draw not for any further spectator
    3) Limit: 1024 - 4096 decals (client-side depending on the graphic settings low-high)
    4) !pclear would work with r_cleardecals (client-side)

Pros: Improved visibility, faster load time of the decals than lasers
    Cons: Only for your current spectators visible, the limit

Note:
    In my personal oppinion it is better than the current lasers only because of the improved visibility since the lasers are loading slower and are kinda thin. Only a feature for Surf, Bhop then again.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  7. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    After discussing this a bit (see summary above), I have decided to not implement this at all for now.
    While the paint of the new version would be more visible, it also has a quite instable limit (depending on client settings), you can't clear it server-side and re-drawing to "switched" spectators doesn't work without doing a lot of work in the plugin itself (basically saving all paints and a flag if the paint has already been sent to a client).

For now, all of this considered (including the complexity of restructuring the plugin), I don't want to really invest time into this.
    Maybe in the future, can't guarantee anything though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.