[Concept] !veto for higher ranked players

Discussion in 'Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Servers (archive)' started by n0name, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    The purpose of this thread is to gather feedback / create a concept for a plugin which allows higher-ranked players to veto a running RTV vote.
    It will only be installed on our surf / bhop servers.

Base idea: while a rtv vote is running (either in "counting" stage or in actual voting state), a higher-ranked player can type !veto, which will abort the vote.

TBD points:
    - what should the required rank be - 100? 200? 500? 1000? percentage?
    - how many votes are required to actualy cancel a vote? 1? 2? at least 50% of all "valid" votes?

Any feedback is appreciated!

2. Yoda

Yoda Genuinely crazy Moderator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    1)
    Is there any way of f-ing around with the order the vote menu is set up?
    Right now the "Dont change" option is placed last (9.). It would make way more sense to put it into first place, to make those random button clickers to actually stop a vote again

2)
    I feel like a person has to be top 500 to have a higher saying.
    OR
    if 2 top 500's are "fighting" the one with a higher rank should win..
    OR
    make it kind of like a "rtv" counter. that if people rtv, the vote will be the exact opposite. if 50% of people vote for keep (With !drtv or idk) the map will stay nonetheless.
    OR
    As long as the amount of half of the people that wrote "rtv" use the upcoming thing the map will be forced to stay.

I honestly cant wrap my head around this idea tbh.
    Ill look at it again tomorrow, see if something else came to mind.

3. Seynethic

Seynethic DeadlyTruth Legacy Management

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    top 200 sounds pretty good to me but probably biggest problem is that you need ~25-30k to reach top 200 which can take quiet a while even if you are a really good surfer.
    So I would say top 500 would be even better.

furthermore I would say that if just a single "permitted" guy !veto's it should be vetoed. BUT if there are at least 2(!) other "permitted" people who want that rtv to happen although the other guy !vetoed, it should continue with the rtv.

but ey seynethic what should happen if there are eg. 6 permitted people on the server?
    - well honestly, most of the "active" and therefore permitted people would talk to eachother instead of just rtving / !vetoing . (at least I believe that)
    so I think there would be nothing in addition needed.

btw Im just talking for the surf servers. I dont rly have a clue how its looking on the bhop servers with points/ranks etc.

4. Chefkoch JJ

Chefkoch JJ :] Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    About the ranks on bhop: It's still super easy to reach top 200. Even my smurf is rank 180 or something, and I played on the server like 10 times..^^

About the plugin: rtv is usually fine as it is, unless there is some hard map on (keep in mind that "hard" maps in surf are much harder than "hard" maps in bhop).
    My suggestion for bhop would be if there is someone in the top 10/top20 they can !veto, which completely cancels the voting. Or make it rank based, meaning higher ranks have a stronger veto: top 10 -> 1 !veto required, top 50 -> 2 !veto required, ...
    Either way, I don't feel like this is necessary at all on bhop.
    All the maps above tier 3 are probably moved to the donator server anyway soon.

On surf.. Well, your call. Haven't surfed actively in months

5. Kami-senpai

Kami-senpai Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Well, since i know what ur talking about i like the idea. And i really would appreciate the possibility to disable a RTV sometimes. Might be also a thing to do, make a specific ammount of vetos in a period of time so noone can just veto all the time... But the idea is awesome :)

6. Baiyan

Baiyan im so high Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I personally don't see a point in this. Rtv's are barely ever even called anymore, and when it occasionally is, over half of the server is voting change the map. If this many people aren't wanting to play the map, I don't think it should be played. One persons' opinion shouldn't hinder over half of the server from having fun.

It could also be extremely easy to abuse, there are plenty of people in the top 100 who would take over a server at the expense of everyone else.

7. Venom

Venom Jozzeh's Kouhai Retired Staff Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I agree with Baiyan here, I believe this feature is unnecessary seeing as RTV's are barely called these days and RTV's are only called when the majority of the server wants a map change. As well as top100 or "high ranked player" could just toy with the low ranked players on the beginner server and stop them from playing maps which they want to play. Basically be abused, even the top players can be immature in some cases.

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Maybe top players should be able to start extend votes like donators can. This can't be abused but still makes it possible for good surfers/bhoppers to get maps extended on public servers.

9. Seynethic

Seynethic DeadlyTruth Legacy Management

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    surfed yesterday ~3am - including me there were 3 people on the server. one of these guys just randomly joined and instantly rtv'ed and it started the vote. so its not really 50% of the server who need to call the rtv vote..?(or am I wrong?)
    anyways I get baiyan's point and therefore Im pretty much on giovanni's side. the extend vote being possible for better surfer/bhoppers would be a pretty solid alternative.

10. Chefkoch JJ

Chefkoch JJ :] Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    This is a pretty good idea imo, but since donators should have something to be happy about I'm not sure if that's the right way.

11. Venom

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Main downside to this idea is when extend votes are generally called. Most surfers just instantly click the top one to get rid of the vote, which in this case will extend the map further, which may screw people over not wanting to extend. I suppose this could be reverted by adding an empty slot to the 1. But as pointed out by Massta this is a privilege command given to donators. Giving it to "top players" may defeat the purpose of helping fund the servers. I don't know, but in my opinion I don't think this should be implemented.

12. ElToredo (195cm)

ElToredo (195cm) Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    After reading all the messages, I would say that being able to vote for a map extend is better than being able to disable the RTV, in the top 200. In some cases, it would be awesome and useful, in others, it wouldn't be.

13. Yoda

Yoda Genuinely crazy Moderator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Wrong. It might be correct for 1-2 and 1-3 but for either this case:

Or the Donator server when new plebs join and spam RTV is it very viable.

Highly disagree because of exactly what Venom and Massta said.

The higher the rank the higher does the vote count.

Id say a point system might work.
    A top10 person's veto counts (f.E.) -5 points
    A potatos RTV is +1 point
    A Hot Shots RTV is +3 points
    A top 10s RTV is +5 Points

When 20 points are reached a mapvote starts.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  14. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    @Yoda@Yoda remember how well even restricting rtv to just better ranks worked out last time.
    With the point system, the plugin would still have to query a player's rank, causing the same problems as before.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  15. Uglefar

Uglefar Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I have no idea if this is too hard to implement, but perhabs it's possible to limit the veto system to only work when there's fewer than x players on the server.
    Without having too much playtime lately, I would imagine that the problem primarily takes place when there aren't very many players on ther server and some random potato joins and instantly rtv's.
    I definitely agree with Baiyan's point. If there's a lot of people on the server who want to change, then the map should be changed, no matter if one top surfer wants to continue surfing that map.

16. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Would set the veto system to only work if there are less than or equal to 4 people on the server, not too hard to implement.
    If it is active, one veto would be enough, as one vote would equal to 25% in the worst case.

17. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Got a first test version ready.
    Plugin adds commands !veto / !startveto, which cancels a currently running RTV vote if the following conditions are met:
    - the player using the command is in the top 250
    - there currently is a vote running (obviously)
    - the player count is below or equal to 4
    - the timeleft is larger than 2 minutes

The latter condition is required due to the fact that there is no built-in way to check if a RTV is actually running (it simply shows up as a vote).
    By adding this requirement, I can at least exclude regular map votes from being cancelled.

Would require several people to test the plugin with me, about 4-6.
    Planned date is this Friday, October 28 at around 8PM CEST.

If you are interested, please comment down below!

18. Venom

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Of course I'll come help, I believe I am top 250-

19. SeaBass

SeaBass Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    (Have not read anything but n0's first comment) But what i can say is yea put it in sounds good but i haven't seen a rtv literally ever so idk how often this could be used, would like a WR announcement plug-in tho only thing on the plug-in side i could think that would be useful.

20. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Still need 1-3 more testers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.