Action is required

Discussion in 'General' started by Partyneer, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krupp

Krupp Member

The global peak of (unique) players was 66 216 the last 48 hours, so it's not only here on FoG where the amount of players has dropped. It's simply not as popular as it used to be. When I was digging in the stats I also saw that 85% of the players started to play it when the game got released for free in 2011, but the exchange of players is more or less constant. Which means most people don't continue play the game after a couple of weeks/months. You can figure out yourself what it does to a community. And the players we actually have are really tired of watching almost 30 seconds of ads before they can start play on the servers, to be disconnected within minutes because they lose connection to the server. I can attest to that myself since I sometimes have to re-connect 3-4 times before the server "accept" me to stay, and watching the ads so many times is beyond any reason and sanity. Lots of people also complains about instable gameplay with lag spikes and other oddities as well, which I can attest to yet again. And to clearify one detail: no, it's not our computers, it is indeed some kind of shit related to these servers because many people say they don't have that problem with other servers with the same distance to them, and even on that I can relate. The administration on the servers is way too aggressive as well. The players are more or less not allowed to do anything but be completely quiet and play where the admins think is okey, and many of the admins don't even accept them to play at all, sometimes for reason I really don't understand. The bottomline is simple: fix this and people will stay. It's also completely impossible in the long run to have a community with game servers which relies only on ads and donations. It just can't be done, trust me.

My point is, it's not enough to let people know about this place if they don't enjoy their stay. Some of you are of course going to disagree with me and try to defend yourselves (as admins), but I think I'm right on this.

2. The Golden Werewolf

The Golden Werewolf Member

We won't be seeing as many people because school's back in session for a large number of them. Wait until either 3pm (EST) or 9 pm (EST) for the Europian and American students to get out of school.

3. AlienMagi

AlienMagi Member

I can definitely relate to this, and I wouldn't actually mind if the pinion advert wasn't blocked in my country for some reason. As I mentioned in the other thread, I just have to stare at "we're sorry, the pot o gold is not available in your country etc, etc." for those 30 seconds which seems pretty pointless.

4. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    @Krupp
    If the Completion Rates aren't going to improve in the next 1-2 Days, I am considering dropping the Ads completly, as they don't make any sense then (we won't get paid for Completion Rates <60%).
    Also, it must be a Problem with your Connection/Routing, as I never get Timeouts on the Servers (even after 2 hours).

5. Bunnie_Lord

Bunnie_Lord Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Just to ask, what do they actually mean with "completion rates" and when is the ad complete? When you see the pot of gold (which for me is after +- 20 seconds)

6. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Ad Completion Rate tells how long the Players have watched the Ad.
    for example: Ad length = 30 Seconds, Watched = 20 Seconds, Rate = 66%

7. xxsam

xxsam Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I usually only see a page which says "You just made a donation with your eyes" at the top, some sort of message feed on the right and Pot o' Gold stuck on 14 seconds in the left.

8. Krupp

Krupp Member

As I said, I don't have that problem on any other server, and that's what the other players are saying as well. If several players are saying the same thing, there is a problem.
    My connection/router is just fine everywhere else. And again, we do have way too aggressive admins on the servers. That's a bigger problem than most realize or admit.

We may have more banned players today than we have players on the servers. Worth thinking about.

9. FoG | Tsunami

FoG | Tsunami Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    If we do well in the Highlander league, it is possible our name will get out.

10. Sky

Sky Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    *bump*

I have an idea!
    What about an FoG community spray? A spray that shows the name of Fortress of Gamers and the website link f-o-g.eu ?
    So when people going to other servers they can support the community by just putting that spray there.

Still. Just an idea...

11. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Good Idea, we just need someone who is good in Graphics (also someone who could make a new Steam Group Avatar and Banner)

12. Spartan

Spartan Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Lol i have my own spray for FoG already :3 its a bit different but pratically avatar but more green

13. TheCoffeeMan

TheCoffeeMan Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Hmmm, most people I know who play on the servers are under the age where they can donate, so in my opinion we cannot rely on donations for a while, we need to aim our target audience at people who are economically active. The FoG spray is a great idea, the YouTube account is also great but getting the videos seen is an issue, i don't see advertising on other people videos as a possibility, most people mark them as spam and i quite agree with them. YouTube is our best hope until we think of something else.

14. Sky

Sky Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Wow, it's very rare that i have a good idea.

Well, i can try drawing something (better than what i posted on the art forum) but i don't know if any of you will like it.
    I just want to know what kind of theme should be on that spray. If you tell me the theme then i will try my best.

15. ㋛ Mahoney ㋛

㋛ Mahoney ㋛ Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    theme is F-o-G. :p

+1 post for me.

16. xxsam

xxsam Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    That is where key donations and noname selling the keys for Paypal money (hopefully) comes in.

17. Jarzaplays

Jarzaplays Member

Can the donates be made as tf2 keys? 'Cause I can't use paypal or anything like that.

18. Downie

Downie CEO of Downcorp Retired Staff Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Yes they can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.