Implemented Kreedz Server - Rockthevote permission

Discussion in 'Suggestions (archive)' started by Rizor, Feb 8, 2017.

?

Remove RTV function for Scrubs and Newbs on Kreedz?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rizor

Rizor eZ Retired Staff Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Hi all,

similiar to the Surf Servers where potatoes aren't allowed to vote on a mapchange.
    I would like to suggest to disable the RTV function for Scrubs/Newbs in Kreedz. Simply because random poeple join the server and can RTV the map while your are within a Kreedz run. Some maps can take up to 1 hour+ to jump and if poeple can just rtv it without any effort your entire run gets destroyed because of that.

Thanks in advance.

2. Baiyan

Baiyan im so high Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I don't think removing it is the solution, if one is needed, but to simply put the required amount of votes higher. There's some maps which no one wants to play no matter what, and people aren't going to stay on a server which is running a map no one likes, with no way of forcing it off. I feel that removing the choice to rtv is simply going to make the population of the server decrease, and although it has definitely improved as of late, reducing the average player count in kz more than it already is would probably be a mistake.

I think it's more important to tailor the server to everyone instead of just the more advanced players.

3. Seynethic

Seynethic DeadlyTruth Legacy Management

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Servers usually start being "alive" with regulars who are joining frequently. usually regulars tend to be more skilled due to them being more actively playing it(thanks captain obvious).

rizor's suggestion is basically focusing on keeping the regulars, who will obviously tend to rejoin than some scrubs, who have probably just joined to get a look at what KZ is.
    baiyan's suggestion is basically focusing on making the server enjoyable to newcomers. <- problem with this one is that it will definitely scare off the regulars as they can't really play the maps they want as noobs are still able to rtv every map they dislike/cant finish.

Back when there was only the 1-3 surf server people were also yelling: ew that map sucks, its too hard. but they were staying on the server as they enjoyed surfing in general. and people who have fun playing that kind of stuff are usually engaged enough to improve.

I see no problem in taking the permissions to rtv from the newcomers away as we already have that system on the surf servers aswell.
    I think on the surf server the system works somehow like this:
    you havnt finished a single map therefore 0 point? - nope no rtv for you.
    you have finished a map and therefore some points? - alright rtv as you wish.
    ^not quite sure though if thats exactly how its working on the surf server but it's at least similiar.

4. Yoda

Yoda Genuinely crazy Moderator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Or we just take all the hard maps,

And move them to another server.
    [1-6 server style]

Another server for the good people might be a swell idea. If with slot limitation or not is argueable. But I feel like this would be the solution everyone would be happy with. (Except n0 who has to run yet another server with no guarantee that it will be populated)

Seeing the situation Surf had with the limitation of potatos not being able to RTV it ended up a huge mess. With noone being able to RTV because it was of no use. The limit was never reached anyway. So I doubt the system in that way will come (again) since it never worked.

5. Rizor

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    This might be an option.
    I think its on the donator surf like that... that the minimum requirement for RTV is 2 people and not 1 person.. or basically all people that are on the server have to RTV in order to force a vote.

1 person = 1
    2 = 2
    3 = 3 rtvs
    to be continued...

It is similiar to it. I think potatoes arent allowed to vote at all. They are allowed to RTV tho. But because of the high population it doesn't matter if a few potatoes RTV cause you need 20+ rtvs.. On Kreedz you are sometimes alone ... if one person comes he can simply RTV it alone.

Another Server is 100% not needed in my oppinion. Way to low population.

6. Seynethic

Seynethic DeadlyTruth Legacy Management

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    hmm, how about we give the KZ server the !veto system of the surf server just with slightly adjusted settings.
    instead of top 250 players(or whatever we have on the surf server) give only top 100/200 !veto
    instead of 4 people maximum as requirement for the !veto higher/lower it to I dunno.

7. Rizor

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    never heard of it.
    For me it would be really enough if all people on the server have to rtv.
    Especially for <5 poeple on the server. Therefore not any random could come and rtv it and just leave right after them mapchange again.

To explain why I want this fixed is:
    I was jumping a quite hard map. Already for about 1 hour and I was alone on the server 4 a.m. in the morning/night whatever you wanna call it. A person came on the server rockthevoted and it was 50/50 if extend or mapchange ... ofc it changed and he instant left in the new map..
    If we wouldve both had to RTV i could've stopped it .. i mean he didnt even asked if i wanna continue or finish the map.

8. Baiyan

Baiyan im so high Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    !veto on surf is a feature given to people in the top 250 that can cancel an rtv in progress if the playercount of the server is equal to, or less than 4. It prevents the map from switching when people randomly rtv when there are few players online, and the rank limit is in place to stop people from abusing it.
    Obviously as our kz server isn't as developed as surf, it would have to be top 100, maybe even 75 if it were to be implemented, as the playercount is not even close to that of surf.

9. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
  10. Rizor

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Nope to that. If you are playing alone or with 2 poeple you still wanna have the rockthevote feature. I mean some maps are running for 300+++ minutes. If there is no RTV function and you are alone on the server you would have to wait.
    I think the only thing that would make sense is to make following:

<5 persons on the server everyone has to RTV. >5 people standard settings. This would still allow poeple to RTV but it would stop from "randoms" to come on the server change a map and go away again. Im pretty sure something like this is on the donator surf server if im not wrong. Therefore shouldn't be to hard to get it for KZ aswell.

11. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    The feature you are describing isn't installed anywhere currently, and isn't even supported by our RTV plugin right now.
    It would thus require a plugin modification, which takes a while.

12. Rizor

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Aight but it wouldn't cut of newbs/scrubs to RTV they would be still able to do so. But it would atleast stop a "random" single player to rock a vote and change a map without the other person who is currently doing his run. Only important when the server has a population <5 players.
    When this is implemented it can also be removed that you can only RTV after a certain amount of time after a map change. Not needed at all to wait 15-20 minutes after a map change to rtv.

Side notes:
    1. Removing it for scrubs/newbs is no solution --> they still should have the right
    2. disable it <5 poeple on the server for everyone is no solution --> some maps are way to long you would have to wait 300++ minutes

Shouldn't be to much work to modify it since its only a change of the requirement amount of votes.
    I honestly think thats the way we should do that.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  13. Jak

Jak Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Rizor has a point although he doesn't really state all arguments against giving beginners the rights to vote. No matter how you look at it there isn't a single valid argument supporting the idea of beginners (people ranked lower than casual) having the right to rtv.
    - They do not know which maps are easy and therefore doable for them because they simply lack experience so they will end up most likely voting another hard map and leave because it's still too hard and they have to wait another 10min to rtv. In this case experienced players will also leave because they end up having to play a map they don't like.
    - They can totally ruin runs of players who spent up to hours on finishing the map which will also hurt the playerbase which joins the servers on a regular base.

Basically you are allowing people with no experience to take the fun or effort from the server because you give them rights they don't know how to use in an effective way for ANY player, regardless if he is skilled or not because they simply DON'T know.

14. Rizor

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Just by the way n0name could you tell me the exact RTV plugin name which is running on the FOG Servers? Would help me out thank you.
    If possible the Source of it.

15. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
  16. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
  17. Rizor

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    What I was looking for was something like this:

sm_rtv_needed
    • Controls how many votes are needed to begin.
    • Default value is 0.60 (60%)
    • Range is 0.05 (5%) to 1.0 (100%)
    for <10 players 1.0 (100%)
    for >10 players 0.60 (60%)

Source: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=57106

If this might help you.

Thanks in advance.

18. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Well, the plugin you linked does the exact same as the one I did, aka. the cvars are mostly the same.

19. Rizor

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Well both don't allow you to set <x players and >x players with different percentages. The one I linked just had a % range in total. I havent seen it in the other one as a cvar. I might have missed it tho.

20. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    That's originally why implementing this will take longer, as I have to modify the existing plugin in that way.
    E: should the modification now work via percentages or skill groups?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.