Implemented VSH Map Suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions (archive)' started by Enrimeus, Oct 1, 2016.

?

What do you think of VSH server maps?

1. Add mentioned new maps, remove mentioned old maps

69.2%
  2. Add mentioned new maps, keep all old maps

30.8%
  3. No new maps, remove mentioned old maps

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No changes to any maps

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enrimeus

Enrimeus alt_Human Member

Hello, for the past few weeks (more than a month) I've been working really hard with other respected members of VSH to make the server better and bring new life to the server. I have been working with Blue, Goldy(a.k.a. Rawrster), Fahly, Hanto, and other regulars of the VSH server to test and find new viable maps for the server. In this large thread I will be listing the work that has been done, the new maps, and old maps me and others feel should be removed from the current rota.

What work has been done?

I have been working the past few weeks on searching through Gamebanana to get some interesting looking maps to test and try out, Fahly has also suggested a few maps alongside this. With the help of Hanto, Blue, and Goldy hosting, we have managed to test 25 viable maps for the server. By testing I mean we have checked where players can reach on the map, all the secrets and where engineers can build and snipers can climb. We have done this to check for exploits and any bugs with the maps. We have also gained volunteers who were regulars of the server to test if the map was in favour of RED winning or Hale winning. We have come to conclusions for each of the maps and stored all the information in a private discord chat. There is only 1 main issue at the moment, some maps have been updated since we tested so we will have to see how these versions are. Some map statuses say that they may not be quite ready yet but we have almost completely finished all of this. I will be listing map statuses alongside the maps themselves. All the VSH staff and some regulars have agreed on all the statuses of these maps and agree should be implemented ASAP. Change has been asked for by many of the FoG VSH server.

What maps have been suggested and how are they?

I will provide exact links in the names of the map and I have the links on my discord still. This list consists the versions we tested, I have been notified some of these have been updated since, luckily the links do not change.

-vsh_seasons_v1 = Ready
    -vsh_yammoe_v4 = Ready (admin room is a prank)
    -vsh_radwater = Ready
    -vsh_Cortin_v1b = Ready
    -vsh_uplift_v1 = Tested_Needs Improvements (such as 3d skybox) (creator contacted, awaiting response)
    -vsh_teul_rc3 = Ready (Needs 3d Skybox, Denied permission to edit)
    -vsh_nebula_v6 = Ready
    -vsh_planestorage_v1a = Ready
    -vsh_arktown_v3 = Ready
    -vsh_spinney = Tested_Needs improvements (e.g. grass textures and 3d skybox) (Accepted permission to edit)
    -vsh_minecraftcloudstuck_b3 = Ready (spawn kills AFK RED after a period of time)
    -vsh_Sewers_Final = Ready
    -vsh_Warehouse_Final = Tested_Needs Improvements (No response to edit from creator, they've given up on their maps)
    -vsh_warehouse_fog_v1 = Tested_Works (more improvements needed, edit of vsh_Warehouse_Final for FoG use only and was edited by Goldy, not providing link publicly)
    -vsh_mitraV3 = Ready
    -vsh_Secretcomplex = Ready
    -vsh_Pipelines_a1 = Ready
    -vsh_minedpressao_reborn = Ready
    -vsh_bc_capani = Tested_Works (but pretty damn small) - Deny use
    -vsh_lake_b3 = Ready
    -vsh_Factory_v1 = Needs to be compiled for testing
    -vsh_rust_remake_v2 = Ready
    -vsh_pruvia_v8 = Ready (best map ever in my opinion)
    -vsh_livingroom_v2 = Tested_Works (in favor of red winning) - Deny use
    -vsh_silo_park_b1 = Ready
    -vsh_outdoors_b2a = Ready
    -vsh_beach_utopia_v2 = Untested
    -vsh_citadel_v1 = Untested (WIP from creator of vsh_seasons_v1, I talk to the guy a fair bit now)

Note: I have got latest versions now for all of these maps. Do let me or the VSH staff know if the maps have been updated.

Credit for Testing:

•VSH Staff
    •Maito
    •Hanto
    •Joker (Sleepy Panda)
    •Moshy
    •Cryprotree
    •Captain Duck
    •Diamond Duck
    •Ricson
    •Lucarso
    •DucksArePeopleToo
    •BlackMelonKnight
    •Qn
    •Nameless
    •Junke

All of these people I'd like to thank for helping out with testing some of these maps or contributing in some way.

What about the old maps?

I do not think we should get rid of all the current maps for the server, however, I think some of them should be removed, here's a list of all the current maps being used on the server and I will leave some opinions next to the maps if anything is said.

-all arena_ maps = they aren't made for the VSH gamemode and many of us agree on this, it also means hale can switch to RED (and I gotta admit, I've accidentally slayed the wrong team way too many times because of this)
    -arena_nucleus = Exception of above statement, people are fine and happy on that map
    -vsh_2fortdesk_v8 = A bit small but still fun to play on and balanced
    -vsh_cactustemple_v1 = Conisdered as a bland and boring map to play on, nothing that special about it
    -vsh_castle_siege_b11 = Extremely balanced and loved map
    -vsh_reactor_v2 = Very dark map, difficult to see anything
    -vsh_chemical_v1 = No comment
    -vsh_citypeak_v1 = No comment
    -vsh_coldvine_b1 = No comment
    -vsh_crevice_b5 = Loved by the server and fun to play on as well as being balanced
    -vsh_dust_showdown_final1 = Very large map, snipers are strong there but it is a balanced map regardless of this
    -vsh_faced_v3 = No comment
    -vsh_hakurei_shrine_v3 = No comment
    -vsh_horyuji_v1 = No comment
    -vsh_industrial_v1 = No comment
    -vsh_manncohq_v14 = No comment
    -vsh_merida_v2 = Extremely bright and too large
    -vsh_minegay_b3 = Easy to exploit and confusing for new players
    -vsh_nale_b1e = No comment
    -vsh_pineyard_final = No comment
    -vsh_remains_of_king_b1 = No comment
    -vsh_snowflakes_b1 = No comment
    -vsh_spotline_r1a = No comment
    -vsh_streets_v2 = No comment
    -vsh_volcanic_b2 = No comment
    -vsh_warebloom_r1a = No comment
    -vsh_dunes_b2 = No comment
    -vsh_poletaa = Extremely small, hale can super jump to RED spawn within the first 5 seconds of the round, its ridiculous
    -vsh_rockslide_2 = Rarely picked, and when it is, hale rarely wins. So it is unbalanced.
    -vsh_skyhigh_resort_b8 = the bright whites of the textures are painful to look at and there is the engineer building in midair exploit, a lot of people get stuck in walls to so staff have to often teleport people. However, a lot of people do like this map.
    -vsh_citydirtbox_rc1 = teleporter exploit to be unreachable, and its a very bland and boring map
    -vsh_lolcano_pb1 = almost everyone hates it just because of the sheer ugliness of it, and you can't escape lava but you can reach a spot where you can't die from it (I have to teleport so many people), worst map we have on the server in many of our opinions
    -vsh_megaman6_b5d = map is so heavily based on RED winning over hale due to all the high spots that require Hale to super jump all the time, the only good hale is HHH and maybe CBS because of the wall climbing or the arrows
    -vsh_oilrig_v14 = This map is tiny, its ridiculous its even called a map, many of us regularly do not enjoy playing on it and feel it should be removed

Last notes:

So many of us have been working extremely hard to get all of this sorted for over a month (from 11th August to be exact), we haven't been able to work on it everyday because some of us are unavailable. Goldy is able to use Hammer and has been kind in fixing some of these maps while I provide the maps, input, and contacting creators of the maps. If you are a regular of VSH who wants to vote on this, login/sign-up on forums to get your vote in. I will be regularly updating this thread with any changes to map statuses so this is not the final result yet. If you agree with some of the old maps mentioned being removed but not all, reply to the thread which one's.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  2. GoldenEngi™

GoldenEngi™ Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    In my opinion we should keep Megaman and Skyhigh, whilst they have their issues they're still good maps to play on, and i've had many good memories from them. As for Lolcano, Citydirtbox and the Arena maps, those i can support on being removed, especially lolcano.

3. Nameless Hoovy

Nameless Hoovy Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I want to see new maps and old maps. From old maps i want to see vsh_megaman6_b5d, vsh_skyhigh_resort_b8 and vsh_citydirtbox_rc1.

4. Bambi

Bambi Puffbuck Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Remove citydirtbox, lolcano, cactustemple, merida. Dirtbox, lolcano and cactustemple are very boring and merida is extremely bright and ten times too big.
    There are 3 arena maps and I personally only like nucleus but the teamswitching is not a big problem. Stay or remove, good either way.
    Keep skyhigh, it's still a good map.
    Add as many of these tested and approved new maps as possible, most of them look good.

just my opinions
    -arena_nucleus = good map
    -vsh_2fortdesk_v8 = fine, quite small but still has quite a few possible strategies for reds
    -vsh_cactustemple_v1 = no
    -vsh_castle_siege_b11 = fine
    -vsh_reactor_v2 = fine, quite boring
    -vsh_chemical_v1 = good
    -vsh_citypeak_v1 = fine, quite special
    -vsh_coldvine_b1 = good
    -vsh_crevice_b5 = fine
    -vsh_dust_showdown_final1 = hard for hale, otherwise good map
    -vsh_faced_v3 = good and simple
    -vsh_hakurei_shrine_v3 = ok map but not I'm not a fan
    -vsh_horyuji_v1 = same as hakurei and dust_showdown, a big open space
    -vsh_industrial_v1 = a good big
    -vsh_manncohq_v14 = good but not a fan
    -vsh_merida_v2 = no
    -vsh_minegay_b3 = good
    -vsh_nale_b1e = ok map but not played much?
    -vsh_pineyard_final = good
    -vsh_remains_of_king_b1 = good big map, possibly too hard for hale
    -vsh_snowflakes_b1 = ok
    -vsh_spotline_r1a = ok but boring
    -vsh_streets_v2 = good
    -vsh_volcanic_b2 = too narrow, nothing special
    -vsh_warebloom_r1a = good
    -vsh_dunes_b2 = fine
    -vsh_poletaa = fine, not played much
    -vsh_rockslide_2 = fine
    -vsh_skyhigh_resort_b8 = turn down your brightness, it's fine. Lots of fun mechanics
    -vsh_citydirtbox_rc1 = it's dirt. it's boring
    -vsh_lolcano_pb1 = bad
    -vsh_megaman6_b5d = fine
    -vsh_oilrig_v14 = good but small

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  5. TheBluekr

TheBluekr Creator of ClOS Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Waiting for criticism of every map, just not a small list for everyone posting. This can make it easier for me to keep track of which to add and remove.
    As about mine but likely not gonna count.
    I do support still the new maps but I'd rather keep most of the old maps which I'll mention below. As about the ones I'd rather have removed are minegay (exploitable, confusing for new ppl (hale spawn) and sentry camp spot), skyhigh (mostly due to exploits and personal reasons), megaman (so large), lolcano and some others (if I update this post).
    The maps I would like quite much to keep are crevice, 2fortdesk (a lot), nucleus (koth and not arena for medkits) and more (if I update this too).
    As about the others I left out, neutral.

Edit:
    Use koth_?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  6. Enrimeus

I have updated thread now with list of current maps which I can edit any criticisms for, I have also put links in the names of the new maps so people can actually find the download link with exceptions.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  7. cryprotree

cryprotree Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I share same opinions as Enrimeus but with few exceptions:
    *Oilrig -small but fast and straightforward map with speed ramps. I really like its design.
    *2Fortdesk -Basically a killbox with poor optimization & performance. Large books in the middle are ideal escape routes for scouts, forcing inexperienced hales to ragekill or chase them undesperately between the books. The jump-pads in corners of the map do malfunction very often due lag.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  8. TheBluekr

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Bumping for more posts, need more information about maps to work with. Same goes for the posters above me.

9. Bambi

Bambi Puffbuck Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    vsh_outdoors and vsh_silo_park_b1 I've played on wobre, good maps.
    vsh_livingroom played on wobre, good map, quite big.
    vsh_Sewers_Final played somewhere else. Nothing special.
    vsh_seasons tried with the FoG maptest people. Good map.

10. Enrimeus

Blue meant the old maps, not the new ^^

11. Bambi

Bambi Puffbuck Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    citydirtbox, lolcano, cactustemple, merida, reactor, maybe hakurei_shrine, spotline and volcanic.
    Bad maps.

12. Enrimeus

I like volcanic and i can't remember spotline, the rest have already been commented on

13. TheBluekr

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Last reminder and bump. Clarifying this time what I'm looking for.
    Upcoming Saturday I'll review mostly the posts and consider votes (posts count more). All non-mentioned maps will be considered neutral (this counts for old maps, not for new unless someone has a opinion about them, feel free to state it). I'm looking mostly for criticism if someone mentions his opinion about a map.
    My activity should also be increasing by then.
    -Blue

Mass tag for posters to update their posts, need more opinions.

EDIT:
    One thing I did forget again to mention, all suggested maps were tested and will be counted positively (unless people vote negative) in their posts.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2016
  14. moshy

moshy Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    while i have nothing major against oilrig, it's small and erratic for a vsh map, can feel crowded at times. on skyhigh the colour palette is an eyesore and could do with some polishing. megaman feels too saturated in colour and the fun wears off after a few rounds. with extra large maps like merida, it gives a favourable advantage for snipers and takes long enough to travel around as hale, although i don't have issues with maps like hakurei shrine.
    other than that, i'm well with keeping the old maps if everyone else wants them (except lolcano)

15. TheBluekr

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Just notifying posts after mine won't be considered anymore since the period has expired.
    I'll take a look at this and the added/removed maps will be either posted in the megathread I made or here.
    Thanks all for the voting and hopefully see you around on the server. @n0name@n0name requesting close asap

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2016
  16. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.