The current state of FoG,

Discussion in 'General' started by Spartan, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartan

Spartan Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Firstly, I am sorry to anyone who was looking for a nice happy thread from me.

I am currently appalled and shocked from what I am currently witnessing on FoG.

For example, we have a thread and these huge arguments break out in the chat box or in our threads and what we see is horrible and unprofessional.
    We get people who give us their time and their effort to come here and give us their input or try to get to know us or tell us of a current issue with one of our admins or servers.

HOWEVER, we do not treat them as some normal player who we would want to try and help, we act if like we have just been victimized and they are the biggest threat to us and we retaliate and swear, argue, have meaningless fights and put across a very hostile side of our community.

Now I know this is not a every day thing, but I am horrified when they do come up, we have people left right and centre acting like a bunch of kids who just got their favorite toy decapitated when really it was the person who we put across as the one who is causing the issue as the perpetrator when they were only making a suggestion.

For example, the person who was suspected of hacking ban appeal, we had pages and pages of hate saying "you did not care" when really time does not make much difference.
    Or the time when someone reported Jaffa and you guys acted like a bunch of thugs as he came from another community?

This is why I am writing this thread as I am going to flip if this happens again,

I want to suggest we have a strict set of rules on the forums to try and limit this and actually have active respected members that will try and enforce them whilst we can. It seems that sometimes we need more than just Downy and N0:name.

I want it to be made that you have to try act maturely at all times and not swear at the members on the forums.
    You cannot start a meaningless argument about the fact that they are from somewhere else.
    That you cannot act differently because they have a ban to someone who does not.

And other such things to try make our community seem like the caring and happy one it is.

What are your views on this matter?

Feel free to post hate, suggestions, opinions.

Edit:
    Suggestions from others:
    - Hire some Forum/Chat Moderators ASAP -Snaky.
    - Maybe try to change the views of people rather than more moderation? - Downy.
    - Maybe get rid of THB - Wandolf.
    - Try to act like role models - Downie.
    - Try to remain respectful - Starfish.
    - No Trolling - Starfish.
    - Do not make it seem the player is attacking us - Starfish.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  2. DaJeroen

DaJeroen Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I was thinking about posting a similar thread, thanks for posting it instead :).

Anyways, I totally agree. But. This is not the only thing that's going wrong here, we really really need more strict rules in the shoutbox... It's ridiculous. Think about it, a new player wants to join the forums and witnesses people fighting with eachother and call eachother names. I don't think they would feel very welcome, wouldn't they?

I think we need to hire some Forum/Chat Moderators ASAP, Downy and n0name are not online 24/7 ofcourse. That would be impossible, we need different timezone-admins.

Thanks for this thread Spartan!

3. The12hunter21

The12hunter21 Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    this would help if the player didnt act dissrespectul against admins! which angers some people.

4. Namaco

Namaco Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    He could've end it simple but he choosed to disrespect us.

5. Downy

Downy Retired Staff Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I've learnt in my time as a moderator around here that it's best to leave the kids fighting for a bit, they'll cool down eventually, when we start interfering the shitstorm really starts.
    This is not a problem we solve with more moderation, this is a problem that lies with the community as a whole.

6. Wandolf

Wandolf Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Should we really start another one of these? Can we please finish the TGB thread? That argument is over, yet nothing has been said or done by any of the moderators regarding TGB. I believe that most people were up for closing it in the end and yet it still stands.

Finish what you started before moving on to something new.

7. Downie

Downie CEO of Downcorp Retired Staff Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Those 'kids' are supposed to be role models to attract new people to our forums.

8. Starfish

Starfish Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Calling out the forum admins partially on this one.
    They should be the ones to simmer things down before things get out of hand.
    Of course everyone should stay respectul, no denying that.

Secondly, victimizing players who are trying to make a report and such is unacceptable.
    Instead of helping someone, we have players insulting and trolling players who are seeking advice.
    I agree fully with this topic, Spartan.

9. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Read Downy's post on that matter.

10. Applejack

Applejack Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    These large social reflections that have been supplied by many users over the past few months are very capable of displaying an act of empathy and care towards the community, but don't change anything in terms of action (nor do they care to.) Yes, it's all perfectly plausible to have an idea of the perfect forum, where the sun shines and grass grows, but humans don't work this way. (And if appeared to, it would be the most uncanny, unrealistic sight imaginable). The nature of a forum isn't defined objectively, and this nature is not constructed by means of bad blood between individuals resulting in arguments, rather on a broader level of the personalities of the persons present. It won't be possible to change this, no matter how hard anyone tried. It's through discourse and challenges that ideals prevail and become stronger, and placing a heavier set of restrictions might not only intimidate new members, but also advertise to them that we've needed them in the first place.
    Plus, more rules means a heavier burden on the moderators, who shouldn't have to be constantly present on the forums (which would be a necessity if we were to implement heftier rule sets for the chatbox, for example.)

So yeah, it's a nice way of saying you care, but it isnt very applicable.

Oh, and btw, from now on, the second any of you even consider rejecting an appeal from a 2 year old ban, you are automatically being hypocritical. That unless ofc, what you actually mean is it does matter, just not when you think it shouldnt.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  11. Tri.

Tri. Legacy Management

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2016
  12. Spartan

Spartan Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    It may not be "The perfect community" I am looking for, it is the decent one that does not look like a gang of thugs bullying everyone who they dislike. All I am asking is people take more care with which they speaking and try to act like people you would want to play with.

In real life, if the community is horrible, you wont ever go shop there/go there/or anything else due to bad customer satisfaction.

13. Damiensdk

Damiensdk Banned

More forum admins? If only someone sugested this before!

14. xxsam

xxsam Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    You, or anyone, do not have the right to not be offended.
    You, and everyone, have the right to freedom of expression.

Yes, arguments break out. Yes, they look bad. But should they be outright silenced if the argument is about a valid topic? That's kinda the point of public forums.

On the topic of victimizing ban appealers, simply make all replies in ban appeals, scam reports, admin reports etc hidden until allowed to be visible. This will remove that problem of off-topic posts.

More forum moderators is the worst idea (yes, I supported this in the past). There isn't a backbone for them to ride off of here right now, since it is dominated by admins. People should sort themselves out without the need for moderation, looping back round to the top of my post.

Topics like this have been made countless times. All they do is regurgitate the same old ideas which never get implemented. This is a waste of time. You want shitstormers and argumentative people to be silenced? Good luck finding that.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  15. SirBobbyTheOwl

SirBobbyTheOwl Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    i think we should enforce the idea of equality, I.E. No one can discriminate another because of religion, nationality, and such. and that no one is greater than the other in any way*

*in the sense of "i am better than you because (insert reason)" and/or "i am X you are Y. X is better than Y

16. Darkregen

Darkregen Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    No matter how many rules you set, how many forum admins/moderators you have. There will always be, occational arguements that will seem bad, but in reality you just need to let them pass.

17. Dakte

Dakte Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    We allready have a strict rule against racism or discrimination of any kind.
    Eitherway, I agree with Sam.
    Also people should seriously stop being asses in general. It's not really that hard to at least pretend you could have a civil conversation without blowing it all out of proportions. It really isn't.

18. chickpoint

chickpoint Awesome Member Legacy Management Moderator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Jep, I was thinking exactly the same. Why do we keep getting the same discussion over and over again, like we are not learning anything about it from the last times. There is a wonderful topic about these cases but after a short while everyone looses interest and it bleeds to death.

Are we all that stubborn and don't want to learn anything from the past. Or are we just ignorant and go on the same path without looking back?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2016
  19. Spartan

Spartan Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    However, if it does not even improve, I am doubting that I will stay here much longer if I see these sorts of things happening every now and then, it should never happen on our forums it is wrong and just childish.

20. Darkregen

Darkregen Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    It hasnt improved for the last year, so do you honestly expect the forums to improve in a matter of weeks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.