Steam Controller

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Bunnie_Lord, Oct 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunnie_Lord

Bunnie_Lord Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    My first experiences with the Steam Controller (SC)

Summary:
    The controller is perfect for gaming on the couch and for games without native controller support. Upsides are that all games should respond to this controller and it's flexibility in configurations. Downsides are that you can only control Big Picture UI with the joystick, not the trackpads, and that you can only change configs if you launch a game through Big Picture UI. I've tried several games with the new controller, but it worked best for simulators and probably racing/RPG games. Shooters are so-so, but practise makes perfect I think.

Shooters:
    I've tried the SC with 2 shooters, Fancy Skulls and Team Fortress 2. While it is also a lack of good configuration, I couldn't play both games like I was used to. Either my aim was off or I was thinking which button was assigned to what. As said before, configuration is key, but finding the right configuration is hard. Sure, the community will come up with something, but right now, the majority of the community can't play with the controller yet ^.^ Anyway, I'll be trying some different shooters when I have time.

Simulators:
    The two simulator games I've played with the SC are Plague Inc. and RollerCoaster Tycoon 3. Both don't originally support a controller, but they were easily controlled with the SC. It took some time to adjust, but again, practise makes perfect.Quality:
    The SC is made of black plastics and feels firm. On the back, there is a panel which can be opened to put the batteries in, which require quite some force to get into their final position. Batteries also have to be removed using a lever mechanism, which pushes the batteries out of their places. Batteries are located in the grips, so you don't have a battery block like the XB360 controller and thus free space for fingers (or other buttons). The trackpads on top feel sturdy. They function as trackpads as well as dpads/button pads etc, as they have switches located underneath them. The triggers contain a 2-staged mechanism. The first part is like you know, normal trigger style, the second part is another pressure button which can activate a second command if you want. There are also 2 buttons located on the back which can be operated by your other fingers and which are quite handy in shooters (jumping, reloading for example).

The weight of the SC is roughly the same as the XB360 controller. The adapter is a small (2x1 cm?) black USB stick or a micro-usb cable (who doesn't have one of those?).

Options:
    There are a shitload of options on the SC, I have tried 50% now I think. With the right configs, any game can be played in big picture mode (on your couch). Changing configs mid-game is easily done, so if you think the current config isn't your style, just change it!

I'll try to keep testing the thing and post my experiences here, but nothing is guaranteed. I have other, more important stuff than this to do as well :/

2. chickpoint

chickpoint Awesome Member Legacy Management Moderator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    hmmm seems interesting, how expensive was it anyway?

3. Ninja Otter

Ninja Otter Cunt Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    It's around £48 with shipping, not sure how much that is for people in the Netherlands

4. Downy

Downy Retired Staff Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I think it's pretty neat.
    I've only used it for Minecraft, Garry's Mod and TF, though.

5. Bunnie_Lord

Bunnie_Lord Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    It's €54.99 in NL. If you pre-order now, you'll get it 10th of Nov + a free copy of Rocket league and Portal 2.

6. Exx0n1te_^

Exx0n1te_^ Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Seems interesting and as far as I could tell it got a pretty positive feed all around the community. I think I might be ordering my one soon.. only if I had money.. Dammit cruel cruel world.

7. chickpoint

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    hmm maybe something to investigate, thought of buying xbox one controller. Maybe nice to do some more research on it before I buy something ^^

8. Downy

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Holy shit, this thing has motion control. I didn't even know.

I suggest you try it, it's pretty neat.

9. chickpoint

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Hmm read it has dual stage triggers. What about that?

10. Downy

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I think that means you can push it in and it'll register as one button, but when you push it in further you'll hear a click and it'll register as another button.
    Steam gives the example of being able to bind iron sights and shooting to one button.

11. Koga73

Koga73 kill @all Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  12. Ninja Otter

Ninja Otter Cunt Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Yeah, just ordered mine today, gotta wait sooo long

13. Koga73

Koga73 kill @all Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Arg, lucky bastardo. Hopefully, i will be able to order mine as well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.