Archived My ban appeal for a ban that hasn't happened yet - Just Jim

Discussion in 'Bans (archive)' started by just jim, Aug 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just jim

just jim Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Hello people whom this may concern,

I'm Just Jim, and I primarily play on the Surf Servers for F-o-G. I donated a couple weeks back for access to the 1-6 server and have been grinding points there for a while. I think I'm up to rank 180 or so now. Earlier today I used an exploit on the map surf_deprecation bonus which allowed me to drop from the spawn box to get a faster time. I was wondering what the recourse is for such an action. I feel like its a bannable offense, so that's why I'm here today trying to appeal the impending ban. The drop boosting exploit is unfortunately functional, and honestly I don't know why I chose to finish the run I got, but I did. There is a way to zone off the drop boost however, and it's quite easy - you just need to set a reset zone above the spawn area so no one can no clip above to the spawn box. This will need to be done on more than a few maps to ensure no one can continue to use such exploit. Hopefully by coming forward with this issue and telling you guys straight up that I committed the offense will persuade you guys into banning me, and then immediately unbanning me so I can continue to enjoy the surfing community here on FoG :) The servers are incredibly active with some of the coolest people I've met surfing so it would suck if you decided to ban me permanently. I know this is a pretty silly post but I just wanted the issue of dropboosted times to be brought forward and resolved (and maybe even lagged CPs, because those seem to be incredibly common on staged maps). Sorry again for dropboosting for the record. Hope y'all can find a way to delete my time or something.

Sincerely,

Just Jim

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Yoda

Yoda Genuinely crazy Moderator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Don't worry about being banned. You reported the problem, which makes you better than 99.9% of the rest of the server popularity and regulars who just abuse them nonetheless and are not banned. (Although we did delete your record, obviously.)

Regarding a fix:
    We were aware of the bug and it's abuse potential, yet never really mentioned it in public, since people tend to go haywire after they find a way to abuse it. For now we have to keep on trusting the people to refrain from abusing noclip, like in your case. It would be a lot of work going over every map we have. I can come up with 10 maps from the top of my head that are potentially dropboost abusable. Though it is on the ToDo list.

Thank you nonetheless for making this post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. just jim

just jim Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Awesome, thanks so much. I'm glad you guys are so active and are always seeming to fix problems. Much different than my last server... Also - just as a side note - I was wondering if there is any chance that CPWRs could give points in the future. I enjoy going for good map times but sometimes a good stage record requires a lot of grinding too but there isnt a payoff besides a nice little chat message. A bot or maybe a point reward would be a really nice addition. Thanks again

4. Yoda

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    As of now, as you pointed out, are the CPWRs pretty bugged . Like 1s records, for no apparent reason, on 14s stages. So adding a point system sounds very abuseable and bugged in the plugins current state. We do intend on improving it but there are other priorities as of now. If it is consistant, then maybe. Also did we intend to get a new ranking system anyway. So getting points from finishing maps casually won't be a thing anymore, but rather for a certain rank on a map you get a certain amount of points. We are unsure if we want to include CPs in that system (if it ever comes in the first place). This project for the new plugin broke into pieces because the programmer we hired had to stop due to personal issues.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  5. just jim

just jim Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Thanks for the quick response. Im glad to hear things are in the works as far as point distribution changes and CPWR fixes are concerned. Sucks that the programmer had some issues but still reassuring that while it isn't a top priority, it still made the list. Hope you guys can sort it out, and good luck.

6. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Regarding CPWRs: we have since identified and fixed a bug, and cleared all existing times.
    Hopefully, the plugin is mostly bug free now.

7. just jim

just jim Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Hate to be that nagging guy, but now that they are fixed, is there any plan for point rewards for CPWRs? I think it's awesome that you guys have resolved the bugged cpwr issue so quick though. Also, if there is any way to have a CPRecord tab under the !stats page that would be really nice (just a suggestion, thanks for all the work you have put into the servers.

8. Yoda

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    1) Not in the near future, no
    2) The !stats page was more of a quicky. Some things are incomplete or not even started. Yes, there is a way to have a tab for it, although n0name isn't willing to write the code it himself (and I can't code), seeing how there are already a lot of things to do which are more important. But everyone is invited to do it himself, I can't make promises or give guarantees but I do think that rewards like lifetime donator or something of a similar kind would be given to whomever (and a fancy little rank on the forums & discord nobody yet has)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  9. just jim

just jim Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I dont have any experience coding this type of stuff either, but if you have any information as to what type of code is used, I'd be willing to give it a shot or ask some of my more experienced friends.

10. Yoda

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    CSS/HTML/PHP
    CSS only if you want to redesign the looks of it

11. just jim

just jim Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    CPs seem to be disabled or something on the servers right now? Im not sure why but it seems to be a recent occurrence.

12. .ax

.ax idk Legacy Management

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    From the FoG Discord:
    Avaritia: CPs were experimentally shut down to try to reduce lag

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.