Declined Forum admins and proper moderation.

Discussion in 'Suggestions (archive)' started by Damiensdk, Sep 25, 2014.

?

Should this idea be considered?

1. Yes.

59.1%
  2. No.

4.5%
  3. Yes, but with some changes.

36.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damiensdk

Damiensdk Banned

We can no longer ignore the elephant in the room. Obviously, the forum isn't being moderated properly.

Now, there are obviously solutions to this problem.

Proper forum admins are seriously needed, I'm not talking shit about Downy or N0:Name, but they aren't always here, and two admins in a community forum is never enough.

There are a lot of benefits to this, for example:

• Faster response to "shitstorms",
    • Rules can be enforced properly, instead of one person checking the forum every few hours or so,
    • Community "Role Models", for people visiting the forums for the first time.

However, it is also clear that possible problems could arise:
    • Opinions that differ to the admin's could be silenced,
    • People hiding posts against their friends,
    • Forum admins also breaking the rules.

A solution to this could be to have strict guidelines for admin applications, like Server Admins not being able to apply, this could help cut down in the amount of bias posts, as they would want the best for the players in the servers they are admin in.

They would need to be proven to visit the forums regularly, which could be proven by their post count, and the usefulness of their posts.

For the current forum admins, they would need to be given a new job.
    At this point in time, the best idea would be for them to monitor the server admins, if this idea would pass. They would be looking out to see if they're breaking any rules themselves, or silencing comments that should not be deleted.

If this was to be found, they would get their title stripped INSTANTLY, as we can't risk the integrity of our forums.

If you have any other suggestions, feel free to add them, but please refrain from trying to cause an argument in this thread just to get it locked.

Thanks for reading, if you've managed to make it this far.
    Damiensdk

2. Darkregen

Darkregen Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I honestly think this should implemented.

But does this mean that if an admin shitposts or spawncamps, even if its only for two secound their powers should be stripped?

3. Bacon Drink

Bacon Drink Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Maybe involve warnings and don't strip instantly?

I am not sure about that idea, but it sounds interesting.

4. Damiensdk

Damiensdk Banned

I'm talking about FORUM admins swaying conversations by deleting posts against their best interests.

5. Tomorsomething

Tomorsomething Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    As long as Darkregen doesn't become admin, we're good.

OT: I think it's a great idea, since the forums have been a bit out of control recently.

6. Damiensdk

Damiensdk Banned

I believe that for the main hub of the community, we shouldn't risk anyone breaking the rules, especially if they're deleting posts because they do not like them. However, it is always up to n0:name to add or remove ideas, I'm sure he'll take yours into account.

7. Ninja Otter

Ninja Otter Cunt Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Seems like a good idea, but two things:

If any admin is biased and doesn't fulfill the correct procedures when someone breaks rules just cause they're friends they aren't doing things properly, so I don't see why SAs couldn't be forum admins

Why change what Downy does?

8. Darkregen

Darkregen Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Oh, well in that case i strongly agree with this.

9. Curry Pyro

Curry Pyro Banned

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Because Downy doesn't arrive fast enough, and since server admins tend to be biased towards their friends, it shouldn't be allowed, and anyway, I don't think they'd be able to handle monitoring the server and forum.

10. Damiensdk

Damiensdk Banned

He can always still moderate the forums, but obviously someone is going to need to keep an eye on the moderators too, and needs some sort of recognition for being a forum admin before. Think of him as the Head Forum Admin.

11. HQGroup

HQGroup Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Doesn't sound like a bad idea.
    It could get Implemented, even tho I don't fully understand the requirements as you stated tho.
    Server admins are not allowed to apply, so you think on some sort of new members or i dunno.

12. Damiensdk

Damiensdk Banned

As an ex-admin, I can say with support of others that it's enough work to moderate one, or multiple servers. I believe it's probably for the best that both admins are separate, to avoid an extensive workload.

13. SynchronizedMurders [FoG]

SynchronizedMurders [FoG] Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Damien, you are actually making some sense this time. I support this idea.

14. Namaco

Namaco Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I am getting tired of this shit.
    Shitstorms are in the shoutbox every week!
    This one was because dark said that the community was immature, and that's okay if he says that.
    It's his opinion, just don't try to make a bigger deal of it!

If these shitstorms keep taking places, this community is done for!
    I just wish people could stop it and yes i know i might sound hypocritical but i'm freaking tired off it.
    I am sorry for all those shitstorms i've caused.

Yes, implement this.

EDIT: This is why we're losing the godamn shoutbox.

15. Krupp

Krupp Member

Why not trying to start all over instead? Let everyone have a second chance to prove themselves to be nice and decent people, without having to worry about people attacking them? I don't think more rules and moderation is the solution.

16. Ninja Otter

Ninja Otter Cunt Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Also Damien, I don't think n0name wants more forum mods, due to the fact that the forums don't have tons of activity.

And also, I wouldn't want to see someone inexperienced become a forum moderator, and for that reason I'd expect either SAs or ex-admins to be the only suitable candidates. Moderating a server or two and forums isn't necessarily that hard ( @Downy@Downy does it well) and if you expect people to not be biased towards people you're sadly mistaken. It doesn't matter who it is, SA or regular member, there will always be some sort of favouritism.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2016
  17. Damiensdk

Damiensdk Banned

When there's a rule broken, a large increase of forum activity comes with it, we'd need more admins so we can be prepared for when this next happens and hope to prevent it.

For the SA rule, I still really think that we should keep Server Admins and Forum Admins separate, as we can't cause problems and "shitstorms" between two admins, just because one deleted the other's post. It would seriously cause every admin to hate each other, which would probably cause people not doing their job OR SOMETHING

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2016
  18. Ninja Otter

Ninja Otter Cunt Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    If you decide to ruin your friendship cause an admin did their job and deleted your post then you're a moron.
    Also you'd hope that admins know what posts are acceptable etc. so they shouldn't be surprised if a post is deleted that breaks those rules that they should know.
    And finally SAs will constantly cause shitstorms no matter what, just because one person has forum mod makes no difference :)

19. cheatnow

cheatnow The desert fox Legacy Admin

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Since I survived the great purge long long ago I don't really like the idea of more forum mods.

20. Krupp

Krupp Member

There was a time when this community had two owners, one 'technical engineer' and another guy I'm not really sure what his purpose really was, but he had a bit more to say about things than others, and then there were head admins and 'commanders'. It didn't help at all. In fact, it was even more difficult to get along. More rules and more moderation is not the solution. I promise. However, how suitable some people are with any kind of responsibility and 'powers' is actually up for debate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.