Action is required

Discussion in 'General' started by Partyneer, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Partyneer

Partyneer Member

Hello everyone, some important information has surfaced.
    I was discussing some topics related to the current situation of FoG with n0:name earlier today, and we felt it is important to let you know the current situation that we are in. The truth is, it is not too good.

Recently, FoG has lost a fair bit of players and donations have been extremely sparse. This is resulting in the fact that FoG is running out of funds to maintain and support the servers that we all play on and love with all our hearts. We determined that action is necessary if we wish to keep up this community, this action would require the help of anyone that can do so. Our plan so far is fairly simple, we have to try and expand the popularity of FoG through fairly simple tasks, mainly by expanding our content from simple game servers to other forms of entertainment such as videos, audio or other content for the internet. Small actions, small plans that would help spread FoG around the internet and perhaps increase our chances of getting the support we so desperately require to keep us going.

Unfortunately, we do not have the resources or skills necessary to succeed in all these tasks.

THIS is where you, the community, come in.

Even the smallest act is of use, tell about us to a friend, make a video about our servers or show who we are in other way, shape or form. It doesn't have to be much, it can be anything even barely helpful, we would appreciate it. Personally, we are planning on making videos on TF2, guides and other content to help new players, and give FoG a bit of a name in the TF2 community. Another plan was to start making content such as adventure maps for Minecraft, or content for other games, to attract attention and maybe cause a spark of interest in the wild open ocean of the internet. Because if we do not act, this community will be lost forever, and I believe I am not the only one to think so when I say: "Damn, that would be a real big shame."

So in a nutshell, please help FoG by doing small, random acts of kindness that could help put FoG up in front of the eyes of the internet community. And maybe some day, if we shout our name loud enough, people will finally notice that we are here, and we intend to stay.

In behalf of all FoG, I beg for your aid, and I salute your support.

Sincerely - Partyneer

2. Fluffaluffacus

Fluffaluffacus Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE! I don't have a computer for recording well. Well Actually I may...If someone can get me a decent recording program I may try to make fun little Videos of tf2, minecraft, ect. Just contact me over steam.

3. Bunnie_Lord

Bunnie_Lord Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Isn't it possible to make an event about survivalgames? I'm sure a lot of MC users would like it :)

4. Holoflash

Holoflash Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Ever thought of Google AdSense on the forum?

Also, we could reach out to Valve, as we are one of the largest communities on Steam.

5. cheatnow

cheatnow The desert fox Legacy Admin

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    wish we could abuse the idlers to view advetisements or some sort of command that opens up an infinite loop of advertisements that you can use if you are going to idle

6. Partyneer

Partyneer Member

I agree with that idea, it would be good.
    I would recommend MSI Afterburner, it's a free and extremely powerful recording program that doesn't take a lot of computer power.

7. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    1.) I am banned from AdSense for Lifetime (a mistake I made about 2 years ago in one of my Clans lead into a Ban).
    2.) They would more likely lock our Group, as it's against their ToS to invite Random People (in that size)

8. Holoflash

Holoflash Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I see. Isn't it possible for someone else to make an AdSense account for the site?

9. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    The Problem is that I have to trust that Person for 100%, as he might run away with that Money.

10. AlienMagi

AlienMagi Member

It would have been a real shame if FoG servers were to disappear as I find one of them being the only good one of it's kind.

I'll do what I can to contribute. (meaning just spreading the word at the moment unfortunately)

11. Partyneer

Partyneer Member

Even that is a lot of help at this point, thank you for your aid.

12. Bunnie_Lord

Bunnie_Lord Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    A possible solution is to sign a contract? But I don't know if that is even possible.

13. Partyneer

Partyneer Member

This is the internet, contracts aren't all that efficient here.

14. Bunnie_Lord

Bunnie_Lord Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Mm, it was an option

15. GB_Fisherman

GB_Fisherman Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    not very artistic in my contributions myself, but can give idea's.

- Youtube account in FoG name, short adverts for the servers etc. fan made video's can be added on there also.
    - invite of more people to the forums to try and get it a little more active.
    - more users wearing the FoG tag in some way, shape or form. people see a tag of [FoG] on a random server (yes it means going away from FoG servers for a bit, but they see the tag and it sticks in their head - especially if they see a few people joining with the tag)
    - doing raffles etc. of items and taking say money or TF2 items as entry then selling TF2 items for cash via paypal to pay for it. (obviously more entrants the greater the profit on an unusual hat etc. - buy an unusual for $30, get 30 entrants all paying 1 key which are like $1.30 and you make a bit of a profit off it) obviously, the more people active on the forum will help here.
    - donation request stuff on the servers in the chat "Hi, like playing here. Support us by donating at the forums & while your there sign up and get involved!" etc.
    - an event server? i know a group called ASBO run one at one stage, people enter and they have games for items which were put in by the participants, maybe take an item from that for profit etc.? so a spy crab contest between 25 people for a bills hat. entry is 1 refined. Make a slight profit of it and sell the profit for paypal cash $$
    - a banner on the forums showing recent people who have given a donation, seems silly but people love there name to be on such things as they can be like "yeh, see my name there. I gave them money to help, I'm so big and proud"
    - any type of money generation of advertisement on the forums, you mention that one has banned you but I'm sure there are others around?
    - branch into other games? unfortunately requires funding for more servers though. so maybe not a great idea.

the main problem is with the revenue, so you can create as much interest as you can. But still not guaranteed that the money will come in any quicker than what it is at the moment. Which is a shame because you just cant run something like this as a business because it wont really work.

Hope a few of those idea's help.

- George

16. Partyneer

Partyneer Member

I like these ideas a lot, we'll see what we can do about them. Cheers mate.

17. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    1. The main Problem with Ads on the Forums is that we only got very few Users, so we won't get more than 5-10$ monthly trough it.
    2. I also tried getting more Users to the Forums (mainly trough Giveaways), but they never Comeback.
    3. The FoG Tag should be realizable, a simple Announcement in the Group should be enough.
    4. The YouTube Account is already planned with that Name, we just need some People editing the Videos and also for Content.
    5. Adverts for Donations is already being broadcasted, but somehow nobody has Money for Donations at this Times..
    6. Other Games/Event Server could also be a Problem, as our Root Server is at his Capacity Maximum.
    7. Raffles ain't a bad Idea, but I think we would need Item Donations, as I am very short in Money
    I have thought about some sort of Referal Links, so for each User that Registers and hits x Posts, you get some sort of Points.
    After you reached y Points, you may get a revenue, for example VIP Permissions, TF2 Items, or Money.

18. Fluffaluffacus

Fluffaluffacus Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I'd be willing to try to donate things.

19. Sky

Sky Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    1 week ago, I was planning to make a FoG video, because i already noticed that there are really few members, even less who are active on the forums.
    The video would be: introducing the admins and other people, showing how the servers and the forums look.
    I've done the first 2 minutes already, but now it's school time for me, so I'm not gonna be able to work that much like I did in christmas holiday. But I'm trying hard.

Btw. I have experience of video recording and editing, it's not the first time I record and edit TF2 videos, so I'm just not a n

I just wanted it to be surprise.

20. Bunnie_Lord

Bunnie_Lord Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I don't regulary play TF2 anymore and was planning to sell page 4, 5 and 6 of my backpack, but you can raffle those items too ;)
    http://tf2b.com/tf2/alarenda

Edit: I don't know if it is usefull, but you can sell TF2WH credits for bitcoins here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.