Implemented Kreedz Server - Rockthevote permission

Discussion in 'Suggestions (archive)' started by Rizor, Feb 8, 2017.

?

Remove RTV function for Scrubs and Newbs on Kreedz?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rizor

Rizor eZ Retired Staff Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    In my oppinion percentage only.
    Cause if a "Scrub" is alone on the server at night. He should be still able to RTV if he wants to change a map.If you would do it by ranks he would'nt be able to anymore.
    Jak was suggesting to do it for skill groups.

E: The basic idea was to do it for skill groups. But Baiyan kinda made me think about it a little bit more. Then I came up with percentages.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  2. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Will do it with percentages then (so <10 = 100% >= 10 = 60%), far easier to implement as well.

3. Rizor

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Aight thank you very much.
    By the way after it is implemented. Feel free to remove the cooldown on RTV after a mapchange. I think it is currently set to 10 minutes you have to wait after a mapchange in order to be eligible to RTV. Can be changed to 0 then.

4. Jak

Jak Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    In case you are coding it differently anyways I would say skillgroup starting with casual so that ranks below that (scrub and newb) don't get to vote anymore. Casual takes for an experienced player 1-2 days to reach and for a beginner 4-7 days which is totally reasonable as you would reward the playerbase that keeps rejoining.

EDIT: Since it would be harder to code you can ignore what I said. Both options are totally fine and would work perfectly well. So take the one easier to code of course.

5. Metal

Metal Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    IMO, the RTV problem only is there when there's 2-4 People on it.
    It should be 1-5 People = 100% RTV Rate.
    5+ people should be as original (60%)

If you're gonna do <10people 100%, people will leave the server because 'unable' to RTV.

Might not be that bad of an idea. Yes, it'll be yet another server.... BUT, this will prove how active KZ actually is (with returning people).
    In addition to that, it'll also have people to play for something, it's like a reward.
    Reach rank X to unlock Server <?>, just like Surf.

I'm all for it. Give it a try, if it won't get populated, remove it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  6. Rizor

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Another server with maybe 10 slots for Experts+ would be nice yes.. of course but n0name got his point that it's alot of effort for him to run another server.
    Therefor I think it is more than just fair to keep it with a "simple" change of the rtv plugin.

I gotta disagree on the <5. I would still start this off with <=10 and maybe reduce it a bit in the future.. but I think 10 is a minimum we should start off and what I can tell from my experience on the server it should be fine.

I heard about the idea to exclude spectators from necessary RTV's. Because if you set it to <=10 players and someone got moved to spectator because he was afk ... a RTV would never happen probably.
    Therefor I have a question (would make things more complicated tho):
    Is it possible to get the information if someone went to spec manually? Or if he was moved by an AFK mover? In my oppinion only auto moved poeple (afk) should be excluded and not all spectators.

Just to make this clear this is a common problem on alot of servers. And FOG would make a step further here with implementing this in a fair way.

7. Yoda

Yoda Genuinely crazy Moderator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    After a month my second server thing gets recognition

I make the suggestion you dislike it and as soon as Metal says its nice its the best thing
    thats just hurting my feelings B(

Thing about more servers is more load on the masterserver. Though if one server gets taken down and another gets picked up it will work out. The second server will just be a copy paste of the public one with some changes in the config file. Dont think that will be a major issue

8. Miller1989

Miller1989 Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    As long as you don't remove it from 1-2.
    But for real though. Why do you want to get rid of that function. It's ridiculous.
    Every server has this function and it is vital, for when there are too many people that can't complete a map. If this function wasn't in the server, a lot of people would just leave and connect to a different one. At least if the vote doesn't go thru, they will still have the satisfaction of having that vote and will just stay on the server and continue typing rtv every now and then. Sometimes they will complain about it but that's why we got admins to tell them to stop mic/chat spam. And you can even be as friendly and tell them to make a complaint on the forum about this function.
    Having a choice is better then having none.

9. Rizor

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Master Yoda back then my answer was properly. This has been about a month ago. The population was 100% to low because the global timer wasn't working properly anymore. Which caused a drop in population. And even then I think that a change of the plugin would be enough. If changing a plugin or making an expert server is more effort i can't tell you therefor I have to less experience with that.

Miller the original Idea was to remove it for Newbs/Scrubs/Potatoes yes. But after Baiyan replied to that I thought about that entire system again. Then we ended up with another solution which is way way better than removing it. Please read the other posts aswell. Tyvm.+

Quoted myself here:
    What I was looking for was something like this:

sm_rtv_needed
    • Controls how many votes are needed to begin.
    • Default value is 0.60 (60%)
    • Range is 0.05 (5%) to 1.0 (100%)
    for <10 players 1.0 (100%)
    for >10 players 0.60 (60%)

Source: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=57106

If this might help you.

10. Metal

Metal Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    People RTV > Go spectator (Like me) because they're tired of the map. Nulling out the Spectators RTV is the right thing to do because, if you're there with 3 people, 2 are playing and 1 is in Spectator, u simply will not reach the 100% RTV which is needed with the new system.

11. Rizor

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Let's get an example:
    You are doing a run and just switch quick to spectator in order to help someone who is jumping.
    If they are clever they could abuse it and just RTV meanwhile you are spec. Or the person you wanna help already used RTV because he was desperate (before you say why would he ask for help if he RTV afterwards). Cause your vote wouldn't be needed anymore even tho you are not AFK and just helping out for a second. Might not happen to often but it could.

If someone got moved to Spectator because he was AFK for 5 or 10 minutes then it is his own fault ofc.

12. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Implemented and installed on the server.

Percentages:
    1-7 players = 100%
    8-9 players = 75%
    >= 10 players = 60%

13. Yoda

Yoda Genuinely crazy Moderator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Noeeey-Today at 13:43
    they count the bot as player ^^

14. Rizor

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    That would be new to me.
    I've been alone on the server and was able to RTV without any problem. 1 of 1 votes required even tho 2 bots were connected.
    --> works fine when you are alone with bots

Just now we were 2 poeple on the server with 1 bot and it said 1 of 3 votes. Hm thats weird.
    Looks like he does sometimes count the bot aswell
    --> counts the bot when more than 1 player is in a team

"recent played" map can also be set to 0. It it not necessary to wait 5 maps in order to be allowed to nominate a map again.

Looks like even negative votes are possible.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  15. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    The plugin was also counting not yet fully connected players, hence why the required amount seemed off.
    It now only considers players who have joined a team, and no specs/unassigned/connecting ones.

Also (hopefully) fixed the bug with the negative votes.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  16. Jak

Jak Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
  17. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Yea, I don't know then..
    Couldn't reproduce it in my 30 mins of testing, and code looks fine.

If this happens too often, I will probably just go back to the old plugin, don't want to waste more time with this.

18. Rizor

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Just keep it for a few days and we will see if any major bugs are going to occur and how often they occur.
    Im pretty sure you've been able to fix most of em tho. There might be just something small we haven't thought about yet.
    Would be definetly a downgrade again to go back to the old plugin.

19. Rizor

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Well after about a month this plugin is implemented I thought I would write a conclusion:

1. It works about 60 % of the time properly
    2. Something still makes the plugin count wrong

Known problems:
    1. negative votes required are still possible (rare)
    2. sometimes you need more votes than players (probably caused by timeouts)
    3. sometimes you need less votes than it normally should be

In my oppinion this plugin would be awesome if it works properly. Unfortunately it doesn't all the time.

Possible solutions:
    1. change the counting method? If there is a different way to count it.
    2. go back to the old plugin -> still a huge downgrade in my personal oppinion
    3. VIP Server (5 Slots) for Experts+

Since the Plugin isn't working like it should I do honestly think it would be less time consuming to just set up a server with 5 slots for Experts+ than trying to fix the plugin.
    Beside the fact that a private VIP server would allow the regulars to grind for WR's without showing cuts to the entire public. And allow other poeple to connect and watch the replay bots. I do also think the current population would justify a private server. I am also sure that alot of the regulars would appreciate a Server where they can play the maps they want without taking to much care of the Tier level because of other Newcomers.

So therefore my question @n0name@n0name and @Massta@Massta what do you think about that?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  20. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    The other method would be always fully counting all clients every time someone types !rtv, or leaves the server - which isn't that ideal and has its own issues (could also count wrong).
    Could look into this some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.