University, work & more - What do you do?

Discussion in 'School, study & work' started by SilverSurferSteven, Mar 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SilverSurferSteven

SilverSurferSteven Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Making this thread to learn more about everyone in this community & get some inspiration for the future.

So I am in my last year of pre-university right now & planning to study earth sciences, but I have a couple of questions for you guys. :)

1) What do you study or what have you studied?
    2) What kind of work do you do or what do you want to do in the future?
    3) Have you always wanted this?
    4) Best part of study/work
    5) Worst thing about study/work

Would love to see some replies, sorry for any mistakes in my english I tend to be pretty shit at writing. :eek:

2. Miller1989

Miller1989 Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Hey there.

I am still studying classical guitar and music composition.
    I am a waiter and would prefer making music instead of continuing with my current job if possible. Be it either for games or television.
    Always wanted to make music but I realized it when I was around 20 years old, which is pretty late in my opinion.
    Studying is pretty much exiting when it comes to learning music theory and noticing the improvement that I get every now and then. Work is just fun here and there but not that much.
    Worst things about studying is that it's expensive as fuck and I am frustrated about paying my bills. Worst part about work is pretty much vegans and people with extra wishes about their food and or drinks. Also people that would like their food as fast as possible and don't realize that they are in a café and not at a Burger King.

3. Littlemadtiger

Littlemadtiger Forum Police Member

Hello.

I went to Denver scrum of law (law school) but I trasferred to a russian law school. I'm also trying to double major in computer science, so that I can hopefully work for valve one day.
    I'm an assistant defense attorney, and I handle misdemeanor cases. I also work part time doing other adult things. Eventually I want to become a full attorney and then a criminal/ tech justice lawyer for a top industry (valve). That will take at least 10 or more years.
    Ever since some events as a child, law is something I want to do.
    Reading. Yes, everyone hates it in school, but I love it because you can use big boy words to make confusing references to justify a point. Much like during a mock trial.
    The work load and stress is the worst. Nothing says law school like reading 200 pages, 5 essays, etc. Every week. Other than that, if you work hard, it's a typical advanced course work load.

4. SilverSurferSteven

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Would love to hear some of your music Miller, either through discord or sometime on the server if people are cool with it. :D
    I have a classical guitar as well but I can't play anything on it and it basically just has been decoration for my room. I know, pretty stupid to leave something like that. I have never been able to get down to the learning process. I love music tho, so whenever you're online, hit me up with some of your tunes ;)

Thanks for your reply!

5. SilverSurferSteven

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Definitely sounds like a lot of work Tiger.:confused: I have problems finding motivation to study the last couple of years, I hope this will change once I hit university because I'm gonna need to study a lot more. Luckily the study you pick is interesting to you, so I hope this will help me out.
    It's good to have a future plan as well, keeps you motivated for your goal, hopefully I can get an idea of what I wanna do after my study.

That's one of the things I wonder about almost every study that exist. Studies are so big that you have a stupid amount of options afterwards. I wonder what I want to do later, got me doubting. But Earth Sciences is the one that stood out to me & really interests me, hopefully it will be the right choice :)

6. Hvilesiggen

Hvilesiggen Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Currently finishing up my Bachelor degree in IT&IS
    Having a blast talking to the dumber part of my nation through Telenor Customerservice. I hope i win the Eurojackpot lottery so i can sit on a beach not give a single damn about anything.
    My work atm, no. Winning, yes.

The parties.

Says itself ^^

7. vincentaur

vincentaur Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Hi!

I just completed my bachelor's degree in physics (with additional astrophysics courses, which made me realize that I'm not the greatest mathematician of all time) and I'm now doing my masters degree in; in physics. I'll most probably be switching to 'applied and engineering physics' come October.

I've been working 20 hour weeks at Intel for over a year now (so semiconductor design etc., with a lot of emphasis on programming), and to my surprise I've enjoyed it A LOT more than I would've thought. Pretty much to the point that I'm seriously considering the semiconductor industry for my future. Otherwise it will probably be something similar/technical in any industrial (or even economical) field.

Well as a kid I wanted to be an astronaut :cool: Then I discovered astrophysics/cosmology etc. which until today is something I really, really enjoy learning and talking about, and was also the reason for my choice in study. Then I discovered how shitty salaries are for research scientists, including astrophysicists. Then I discovered how good salaries are (and surprisingly fun it can be) in the technical/industrial field; not to mention how much easier it is on a technical/mathematical level, and how MUCH more time you will have on your hands when you don't have to do theoretical stuff all day long.
    Short answer: No I've not always wanted this, but I'm really happy it turned out this way.

Getting to know new people that (at least seemingly) are not always dumb as shit has been a great experience so far.
    The parties.

Hmmm

8. D4gger

D4gger Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Heya,

I started studying psychology and Pädagogik a while ago, but had to give up due to my rent being way too high.

I own a Vapeshop, am a Fraud manager for another company and I build Coils.
    I completed my expertise in 2013 in a music shop.

I Never wanted to work in an office, rather outside in construction or in a musical field. Since I'm not gifted with my hands and the musical field is a hard one, I decided to live a more simple life.

the best thing about being a shop owner is: I can choose in which direction I want to lead my employees, stock and shop.

worst thing? the hours man. working from 7 In the morning till 9 in the evening puts a strain on your social life and your health.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.