Declined RIP Dodgeball - New server proposal

Discussion in 'Suggestions (archive)' started by plue, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plue

plue Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Hello there! I just noticed that the Dodgeball server has been taken down (RIP) and replaced by a Trade/Idle.

I want to suggest to replace this new Trade/Idle server by either restoring the old Dustbowl server (I know a few people that miss it, including myself) or replacing it with a Payload server (*).

There are a few reasons why I'm proposing this:
    1. n0:name recently posted that Trade was "rather dead recently" (https://forums.f-o-g.eu/threads/map-on-trade-temporarily-changed.13782/), so I don't think that two Trade/Idle servers are needed.
    2. This community only has two standard game mode, ctf on 2fort and plr/tdm on hightower.
    3. Payload is the most played mode in tf2 and this kind of server can potentially bring new people to this community.
    4. Dustbowl, despite being one of the most controversial maps, is still appreciated by the community.
    I was thinking about this for a while now but I didn't want to suggest to shutdown any working server, but at this point I believe this new Trade/Idle is quite expendable.

Thank you for the attention. See you in game.

(*) For the payload server I'd like to have different "standard" maps in the rotation (upward, badwater, barnblitz, borneo and so on) and some community maps too (see https://tf2maps.net/downloads/categories/maps.2/featured)

2. Bambi

Bambi Puffbuck Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I can agree to have seen quite some succesful payload servers and I too think it would be great if we had a populated one.
    But the problem is the population, because I believe it's as n0name says that it's very hard to bring forth new tf2 servers.
    Either way, probably better than trade #2.

3. Starfish

Starfish Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Afaik Valve really wants to exterminate vanilla TF2 community servers.

4. plue

plue Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I don't think this will happen, because I'm sure that will be the day tf2 will lose most of its players.
    Where did you hear that?

5. aaaa

aaaa Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Vanilla servers with official valve map's just simply does not work due to how neat it is to just click 3 buttons instead of having to navigate through the server browser, and most people who is using the server browser is probably just trying to find a whacky x10 randomizer !rtd server

6. Bambi

Bambi Puffbuck Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    It takes at least 10 minutes to find a server with more than 10 players, with a map that has more than 5 seconds remaining.

7. Sakura_Chan

Sakura_Chan Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I miss it :(
    I would be glad to play in a payload server.

8. aaaa

aaaa Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Idk if you are stuck with the first version of the queue from MyM or just unlucky. For me it takes about 1-2 mins to find a payload game that has about 12v12 players

9. Pudgey

Pudgey Shinji did nothing wrong Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    There are downsides but anything is better than the minecraft trade server so i'd say give it a shot

10. Tri.

Tri. Legacy Management

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Yea why not giving it a try. It won't hurt.

11. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Well, considering Trade #2 only went online last weekend, it couldn't have gained much popularity in the meantime.
    Would give it at least another week of time before doing something with it (shutting down/replacing).

As for payload, we actually had a server several years ago (back when Quickplay actually drove players towards community servers), and it died out as one of the first servers.
    So for this to work, we would need at least 8-10 dedicated people who sit on the server each day (sometimes 1-2 hours) and wait for players to join (also called "seeding").

Otherwise, I don't see such a server gaining any players - especially since 2Fort is usually more popular than PL, and still dead (at least our server for most of the time).

12. old bear

old bear Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Well i dont think you could have any populated standard community server as n0 said 2fort is dead most of the day and is the most popular community map.
    As for putting pl maps there i think the server would be dead 90% of the time as pl maps arent popular in the community servers (check yourself in the server browser), the people playing on pl maps mostly play on valve servers.

13. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Going to deny this, considering Payload (as mentioned earlier) was one of our first servers to empty out.
    Additionally, what old bear said above.

If Trade #2 doesn't work out, I will just convert it into another MvM server or just shut it down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.