Declined TF2 Jump Server - Map Overhaul

Discussion in 'Suggestions (archive)' started by Bassad, Apr 16, 2018.

?

Shall we add more maps to the TF2 Jump server?

1. Yes

23.5%
  2. No

76.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bassad

Bassad Legacy Admin

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Hey, so before you ban me now and immediately discard the idea, please hear me out. :)

I have been playing 4starters now for a very long time (not only on the FoG Server) and I really love this map, since it is the map I really picked up jumping. Blind Girl, map maker of 4starters, did an amazing job on the map and adding this coop feature, which was not seen on any map before that, was just the icing on the cake.

But after such a long time, playing a single map can be very tiring, that is why I would like to suggest adding a few more maps - and I am speaking really only about a few. Jump maps like 4starters are really great combined with the teleport plugin in place. You are able to save your location and come back to it, making advancing on the map really easy and rewarding and if you finish a course/the map you really achieved something to be proud of; Even more so, if you are a complete beginner.

Thus I would like to suggest adding these maps to the server:
    1.) jump_cube_b6
    2.) jump_eons_rc2
    3.) jump_home_v2
    4.) jump_sketchy_final
    5.) jump_mario_beta1

And just to make sure, I did not randomly pick these maps, I selected those 4 based on many different factors, such as Design, Detailing, Jumps, Difficulty, Performance, Range of player skill needed, etc.

Small Information for each map:

Cube
    Cube is a very similiar map to 4starters. It has 4 courses with 10 jumps each, ranging in difficulty from "ggez no re" to rage quitting. It has amazing visuals and is a lot of fun to jump.

Eons
    Compared to cube or 4starters, Eons is a linear jump map with 20 jumps. The first half of the map steadily increases in difficulty, where the later half is a lovely playground for more expierenced jumpers.

Home
    This one is almost as old as 4starters and is the same as eons, a linear map. 40 Jumps plus 2 bonus jumps. Again, it starts easy in the beginning and gets more difficulty the more you advance on the map.

Sketchy
    Originally a demo jumping map, but it is also totally viable for soldier jumping. It has a very unqiue artstyle with 30 jumps and 2 bonus jumps.

Mario
    Last but not least, Mario, a recreation of the old mario n64 castle with 4 courses, where the 4th one needs to be unlocked with secret buttons and a total of 50 jumps.

Side note for mario and sketchy: Those two are not as easy at the 3 others I mentioned. For an expierenced jumper it may not be that hard, but beginners might have a tough time on it.

------------------

Now to the real important part: How to change maps?
    Even expierenced jumpers have a difficult time completing t6 maps (T6 being the most difficult maps out there) and it can take up several hours (longest I have seen was 7 hours). Those are by no means T6 maps, but it will still take alot of time and effort for a beginner to complete those maps (including 4starters) and changing the map every 2 minutes would just not be an option. So, !votemap or something like this, is not an option (unless you can restrict it somehow, to be only changed after a set amount of time).

I personally would go with a map change every 3 days if it is possible to automate it. Not only do you have enough time to complete a map or try to complete multiple jumps, but you also know exactly when the next map will be on the server. Since I am only a Trainee myself I can not change the map and do not really know all the options available for such a thing and I would like to hear what higher ranking admins have to say about that.

Furthermore, since I am not the only player on the server, I asked the regulars to come visit this post and express their feelings and vote either for or against it. We do not need to add all four of them. That is why I would like to hear the voice of our TF2 Jump regulars

---------------

Lastly, my own opinion. I think adding one or more of these maps would be really nice. As I already said, jumping one map for too long can get very tiring. Yes, there are other servers out there, but the FoG Jump Server is my home and I believe adding more maps might also increase the base of regulars and new commers on the server overall.

Best regards,
    Bassad

P.S. In case anyone of you is curious about the maps and wants to take a look at it yourself, here they are :)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfaqbx4eifcbst1/Maps.rar?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksiw91n6a3pnneq/jump_sketchy_final.bsp?dl=0

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. Fluffs

Fluffs Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    First of all I like that you take initiative to make the jump server a better place, that's great!

That being said, I would much prefer it if the server stayed a 24/7 4starters server. The map feels like my home in a way just like the server does, and it's a nice place for me to zone out and relax when I need that. To not have that mix of favourite map/people I like available, would be a downgrade in my eyes. I personally really hope this doesn't happen...

As to the suggested maps, the first three seem alright. I would personally suggest, instead of jump_mario, something like jump_destination_v2 or jump_tpn_rc3. That's just a matter of taste, of course.

Greetings,
    Fluffie (server regular I suppose)

3. Peter Traurig

Peter Traurig Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Sure why not. But I recommend placing 4starters as the main option, as it's the map that drags the most players to the server. The three day change cicle seems to be the wrong way to do it- my opinion. Triggering a vote for another map, like on tempus, could be implemented. Meaning for example, that the server asks for what map to play next every 30 minutes. Furthermore you could add an rtv plugin. Map choices seem to be fitting.

4. Bassad

Bassad Legacy Admin

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    - Update -

As Fluff (via pm) pointed out, it would also be nice to have a demo Jumping map, so I added jump_sketchy_final to the list.

A few dont want to sign in, to vote or leave a comment, so I add them manually:

Graru1 - No

Quote from Graru1:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  5. Galaxyy

Galaxyy Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Honestly, it would be nice to play different maps sometimes! Although there are times where you just want to chill on 4starters and if there are a bunch beginners changing the map, it would be slightly annoying (especially if they can not complete any of the maps anyways) or with that "3 days each map" system you'd have to wait for 4starters to come back on the server for like 12 days (if ya'll add 4 maps), which i think is a bit too long time to wait...

So adding maps would create a bigger rotation and the bigger the rotation the less chance of playing jump_4starters is. Everyone who is playing on this server often, join it, because it has our favorite jump map on it 24/7!
    If the rotation has good and not too many maps in it and if beginners wouldn't be able to change the map too often, I'd honestly be fine with the idea!

As demo main, I'd like the idea of there being one soldier and one demo map. Since I've seen that a lot of people are actually interested in demojumping. Not sure if they're just trying it out of boredom, since they've either already completed 4starters too many times or can't get passed a jump, as soldier! But I'm pretty sure, you soldier mains want more soldier maps instead.

6. Bassad

Bassad Legacy Admin

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    First, I want to thank everyone so far for expressing their opinion by voting or leaving a comment, thank you.

Furthermore I would like to clarify, that I do not want all four of the maps to be added, that was never the idea. I only gave examples, which I thought would great additions, so people could choose (or, if they had other option in mind, they could just post them like Fluff did).

That was the main goal. Since I do not know all the option which are available to set a map, besides votemap and admin changing the map, I just suggested ANY idea I had in mind and I totally agree (and already said it) that changing the map every 2 minutes would be totally stupid.

Personally, I would be fine with just 4starters and cube, but if the majority decides to say "No", I wouldnt have any issue with it whatsoever, I only thought adding one or two maps to the pool would be a good idea, there were never any bad intentions behind this.

7. /KoS/Stift80

/KoS/Stift80 Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    It would have been interesting to try out, depends on how much work that needs to be put in to make it happen.

At the same time I think it would be too unfamiliar and kind of stressful thinking about when my favourite map is gonna go up next. At this time we know that 4starters is always gonna be there when you want to practice, have fun, try different ways and chill while listening to the radio. That's a comfortable thought.

The alternative way would have been another FOG jumping server that has all the example maps that have been listed above. I don't know the cost though, but I'm just throwing it out there.

8. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    With the majority of votes being negative, I am going to deny this suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.