What's the best programming language to learn?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD, Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Currently learning C++ as my primary language but I was wondering, what other languages (not Javascript, Python, etc.) are good?

2. Oku!

Oku! Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    C# is better language to learn first imo.

3. Packed One

Packed One Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Every different language has a different syntax, so it really depends what are you expecting to be delivering as a final product in the future (ex.: Website, a certain type of Application e.t.c ). The thing i can suggest you learn is HTML, followed by CSS and after that you can learn PHP,JS,MySql.
    That's just my opinion, good luck :)

4. Yoda

Yoda Genuinely crazy Moderator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    He asked for a programming language. Every child knows that HTML is not a programming language

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Packed One

Packed One Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I am aware, thats why i said followed by css, php,js,mysql. Tho css is not a language used by itself ( used with HTML,XML ). And after that php,js and mysql. I didn't intend HTML as a programming language, since its a markup language. Sorry if i was understood wrong.

6. Smile

Smile Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    in my uni we start with c and then we go to c++ and java..

7. XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Only 12 rn so I'm still trying to see what kind of language I like and what I wanna do for my job in the future. Developing a website could be handy but I doubt I'd ever need to do that.

That's pretty sad. I tried making a "What's your name and age?" example in C and it blew my mind how stupid it was.

8. Timpman

Timpman Banned

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I've tried to learn coding aswell, but a while later, I figured out it wasn't for me, anyways I think you should start learning it on the CodeAcademy site if you aren't already. :)

9. XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I'm fine doing c++ without a website teaching me it

10. Seynethic

Seynethic DeadlyTruth Legacy Management

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Sourcepawn. :^)

11. XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Actually that's a good idea: I could make plugins :p

12. Enstage

Enstage Senior Trade Moderator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    In my opinion you should learn Javascript first. It's becoming the most widespread frontend (already is) and more recently backend scripting (NodeJS) language in use for internet sites. Additionally, Node extends much further than just being used as a site backend, e.g. all the level up bots you see in Steam are done in Node, and I wrote a number of Node applications for routines in the backend of my community. Node may be a bit hard to understand at first, so try and focus on frontend Javascript first and then move over to Node.

13. Sniper Pro

Sniper Pro Senior Trade Moderator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    As Enstage said, I would learn JS. I'd also give Java/Python a go as both are widely used and pretty easy to pick up.

14. Littlemadtiger

Littlemadtiger Forum Police Member

It all comes downs to what you want to do as a career. Cyber security, software engineering, Dev's, and so forth. Certain languages will make the most of certain fields.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  15. XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Already really fluent in JS.

Python doesnt interest me. It's syntax isn't like C++, JS etc. Sure, it's easy but the syntax is a bad habit and the fact that it's indentation-based creates alot of bugs. Slow too.

16. Littlemadtiger

No, c++ has a miniscule problem with syntax; python removes the need to double string which is why people want to code more in python. @yperz@yperz python is way more efficient, and as far as slow, I would seriously beg to differ on it being slow. Refresh rates for code are some of the fastest I've seen.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Now that you've had another opinion on Python, later today I may go make some code in C++, JS and Python (same thing I'm gonna make in each language) and see which is faster.

18. Low Orbit Ion Cannon

Low Orbit Ion Cannon Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    C++ is a good start. It may be more difficult to start with it rather than Javascript / Python / C# / whatever else, but you will have an easier time picking up other languages afterwards.

In regard to the thread title, there is no best language. Depending on the requirements and conditions some languages are more applicable than others. For example, if I wanted to write a small application that displays a compact overview of my music files in their directory structure, I'd use Python because I'm well-versed in it and can whip something up within minutes. I wouldn't use C++, C or Java because it'd take longer.

As with the majority of languages though, this comfort comes at the price of performance, which is also why I'd certainly not use Python to program a 3D game or anything that involves heavy computing. C++ or C would be much better suited for such a task since they're the arguably fastest languages in that regard.

TL;DR the best language does not exist. Use what you're comfortable with. Everything else can be easily learned after you're more experienced with C++.

If you can't press Tab or are writing Python code in Windows' Notepad.

In regards to Python being slow, that's attributed to how Python handles typing. More on that topic can be found here if you want to read a bunch of nerdstuff.
    Sure you can speed Python up significantly by using C-ported libraries among other things, but all in all well-written Python code will never run faster than well-written C or C++ code. How could it be when it's an interpreted language?

However, Python is more time-efficient. It'll take you a fraction of the time you'd spend on writing a C / C++ application to write a Python application that does the same thing. By extending Python's capabilities with C-ported libraries such as Numpy / Scipy etc. you can reach computation speed that comes close to native C / C++ code's speed.

It's still slower though.

Sorry for messed up quotes, but I'm in a hurry. Also thank you for posting an interesting thread rather than the usual Hey guise, which class do u liek 2 play? threads.

19. Littlemadtiger

Of course. C# will always be faster, it runs as a .NET framework language, which is in direct com line with the server. You are right in that aspect good sir. C++ is the OOP that runs on its network as well. In that aspect that C/Java/C++ are the writers and Python, OBJ-C/etc are the readers and manipulaters.

Good eye on catching my error @Admynco@Admynco

20. XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Couldn't pass this but..
    Read your SM application and you said:
    Isn't that contradictory lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.