Improving my surfing

Discussion in 'Counter-Strike: Global Offensive' started by SilverSurferSteven, Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilverSurferSteven

SilverSurferSteven Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Hey there!

I would like to ask some questions regarding surfing. I'm trying to improve but I just can't see to let some maps work. So if you guys would care to leave some helpful tips & answer this questions, I'd be really happy. :)

Do you use turnbinds? If so, how did you start out with using them?

I tried using them today, while they seem very useful I just can't seem to let them work.

Should you practice maps specifically or should I just play a lot and improve without actually thinking about it too much?
    I already struggle with T3 and I see some people doing T5/T6, I wonder how you guys managed to get to that stage, but thats probably just a lot of practising.

Basically I just wanna know if I am missing out on some easy things that I should be doing.
    Thanks for your time ;)

2. Yoda

Yoda Genuinely crazy Moderator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Use turnbinds only then when you run out of mousepad
    Keep on surfing on all maps that you find and try to complete them

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Lelensko

Lelensko Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    If you just started to use turnbinds, it does feel odd in the beginning (for me atleast). Takes a while to get fully used to it, but definitly worth it.

4. Venom

Venom Jozzeh's Kouhai Retired Staff Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Turnbinds are fantastic, I have mine bound to mouse4. You generally only need +left since right hand spins are not used very often, and if they're they are used on higher tier maps like T5+, very rare to see any on T3-.

Best way to improve at surfing(In my opinion) would be to surf higher tier maps! In your case T3(seeing as you're struggling with them) it may feel monotonous, failing over and over. But without a doubt you'll improve.

Using !cp is very helpful in learning maps and I suggest using that as well.

Anyway, I hope this helped and good luck!

5. Chefkoch JJ

Chefkoch JJ :] Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I second that. Never really got into surfing above tier 3, but I assume it's the same as in bhop. If you only play hard maps for a while, t3- will be childsplay for you :] Just keep trying to get a little further every time.

6. Seynethic

Seynethic DeadlyTruth Legacy Management

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    !cp is the way to go in my opinion.
    just by doing a map with !cp you constantly repeat different parts of a map and therefore improve with every single try. you will even get the hang out of it in the way you have to surf(land, jump off, staying high on the ramp, etc.) it. this can easily lead to you recognizing similiar ramps/jumps on totally different maps. it will even improve your consistancy when you're encountering different parts of a map as you already cp'ed it a couple times.

I highly suggest using !cp on every map you are about to learn and also maps that you were'nt able to finish yet due to missing skill(?). Keep your time creating new checkpoints, try making 'em perfect, so you get a feeling on what to exactly improve on each ramp/jump.
    I would consider myself as a T4 surfer as I have only finished 2 T5 maps so far. Once I cp'ed through a t6 map in about 30-60mins(quite a long time tbh for just !cp'ing it). after that I was quite easily able to get very close to the end in one of my legit(no !cp) runs. so don't be scared to try a T4 map with cp's once you're able to join the 1-6 server.

Considering turn binds.
    If you really want to improve in surfing and try breaking some WR's in the future, its urgently needed to lower your sensitivity in order to be really fckn smooth. Having a low sensitivity is not needed at all to get decent records but it will make it a lot easier if you are used to it.
    when doing so you obviously need those binds in order to make a god damn drop, spin whatsoever as you are running out of mousepad.
    just check surf_depths ending for example. that last spin/drop is really tilting without a turn bind on low sense.

but in the end its just practice. Keep surfing.

7. SilverSurferSteven

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Wow!

Thanks for all the good feedback guys, did not expect this :D.
    I am kinda close to the donator-server, might just get VIP to try some maps on there & get my last points for top 250 by picking the maps I still need to complete. Might sound cheesy but it will get the job done. Once I have access there I'll be able to practice maps without really having to switch mid run. I will keep practicing harder maps & turnbinds, think I will also put in to a mouse button. Had it on 2 (+left) & 3 (+right), this was however a really weird angle.:confused:

Will also add the !cp to a key but I couldn't really figure out how it worked last time, so if anyone sees me online and would care to explain through voice com or discord that would be sweet! :)

Again, thank you all, this community is great!

8. SilverSurferSteven

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Oh, one more thing.
    What about using Ctrl to crouch while surfing. I find it really helps in some occasions but lately I have been constantly holding it & it feels like I get some really weird things when turning. If someone could clear when and when to not use Ctrl, that would be great!

9. Chefkoch JJ

Chefkoch JJ :] Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    About the !cp feature.. The things you wanna bind are sm_save and sm_tele. The first one saves a location to your cp list and the second teleports you to the last one you saved.
    You could do it like this: bind "k" "sm_save".
    A more intricate system could make use of your already assigned keys, but that requires an autoexec.cfg
    Code:
    alias +saveattack "+attack; sm_save;"
    alias -saveattack "-attack;"
    alias +teleattack2 "+attack2; sm_tele;"
    alias -teleattack2 "-attack2;"
    bind mouse1 +saveattack
    bind mouse2 +teleattack2

Basically you get to save your checkpoints on mouse1 and teleport to them on mouse2 AND you can still play mm properly without having to change anything.
    If you need help with your autoexec you can add me on Steam.

Side note: I'm not sure about the surf servers, but on bhop I keep getting teleported to checkpoint #2 in my list. It's an annoying little bug, probably even more so on surf.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. SilverSurferSteven

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Thanks! Will be sure to start using it :)

11. Giovanni

Giovanni Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    You should almost never crouch when surfing. You will just slide off ramps and lose speed when turning. Sometimes you can crouch mid jump when you go through small windows or something similar though thats very rarely needed.

12. Dark Red

Dark Red MAH BOIS! Banned Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
  13. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    @dsoliver18@dsoliver18
    Enjoy your permaban for advertising.

Also, locking this thread to prevent further necromancy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.