Someone here with Network Knowledge?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Kami-senpai, Nov 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kami-senpai

Kami-senpai Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Hello Community,

Since i am Admin here its pretty bad if my connection to the Internet is bad... i cant go and do my Job atm cause i just lag as hell... Well the Problem occures since... 3 days now and i dont know what i shall do...

My PC is connected to the WLAN with a "TP-Link 821n" - 300mBits V4. it used to be perfectly fine but since some days it is super unstable... regularly disconnecting, unstable ping(pending between 30ms - 100ms usually, sometimes 2000ms and it causes laggs). Well since i couldnt find something useful yet on google and also no idea what the reason might be.

Ive tested using another stick, also same Problem,
    reinstall/update the driver - still same
    assumed its a provider problem but since it works at my Laptop and Phone without any issues... i dont think so...
    I want to test if its the extension cable im using, but couldnt to that by now. I will post here if i got that.

I appreciate all answers and suggestion u got for me and i will post the resolving solution when ive got one.

Regards

Kami :D

2. TheBluekr

TheBluekr Creator of ClOS Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Already tried using a LAN cable? :^)
    Atleast that's what I use.
    As about the problem, tried a different usb port? Are you sure you're using the correct type usb port? Already tried removing drivers and installing it when using different port? As you used a different stick I'm not sure where it could cause issues, signal strength possibly?

3. Kami-senpai

Kami-senpai Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    well i did try different USB-Ports, and its a 2.0 stick so i use a 2.0 port... well i would use cable if i were allowed but where i live its pretty exspensive to live alone... so im still at my parents flat... also tried (by accident) different ports to install and stuff the drivers... also singnal strenght shouldnt be the case since the stick is there like 2 years now and it never was... ive no clue either what would cause this kind of issue... thats why i ask here...^^
    and Thanks for the Reply :D

4. Yoda

Yoda Genuinely crazy Moderator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I personally have a lot of bad experiences with USB sticks. They lose their effectiveness after a very short time. Get LAN or a new stick. I highly doubt its anything else.

5. Kami-senpai

Kami-senpai Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    well since ive tested 3 different by now i dont really think thats the source of the issue
    one was brand new...

6. Pruu

Pruu Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Yeah for the love of god, wire up.

I've been running on a 1gbps ethernet wire for years now, never failed me - your connection won't conk out due to a wire.

Sticks are notorious for running hot, and hot generally = slow, wires don't get this - seriously, it's because you're on wireless, it sucks.

7. Kami-senpai

Kami-senpai Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    well can be closed now, decided to use a cable, over so called "D-Lan" at least as far as i know. Plug adapter in socket and plug another iin where u need the internet, connect one with cable to the router and the other with cable to ur PC and ta-da it works perfectly fine

8. Yoda

Yoda Genuinely crazy Moderator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    What I use.
    Sometimes inconsistent though for no apparent reason. But usually faster than my USB-Stick

9. K1ng

K1ng Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I know its unnecessary and its closed now and you have fixed your problem... but... if you ever want to go back to wireless, my opinion is never get a cheap USB wireless receiver. They are just plain unreliable, make sure you invest into some type of wireless PCI express adapter (TP-Link and NET-Gear are good at these, Acer are always good with these as well but their pricing is a bit high) These are sometimes even faster than Ethernet (CaT5 sometimes ever CaT5e if using 5Ghz). Try to look for a 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz connections and more anteaters are better (i think). These are obviously more expensive that an Ethernet cable or a USB wireless receiver but is much more reliable and the best you can do for wireless gaming.

Post mainly for people looking back and want to see advise for wireless connections.

10. chickpoint

chickpoint Awesome Member Legacy Management Moderator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Well.... you want network knowledge? Here you go!!

Wireless is a shared carrier, what does this mean? You have a 3 lane road through the air, this means everyone needs to use this road. The more people that use the road the less space you get, the less speed you get and at some point you can't even move anymore. Think of a traffic jam.

So what can you do about it? Well the most obvious plan is to hook up your PC to a network cable. This will mean you get your private road and you can go as fast as your ISP (the government) allows you to. But this isn't always ideal depending on your situation, I bet parent/SO doesn't want to trip over the cable or doesn't allow you to drill holes in the walls.

Your solution is called EoP, Ethernet over Power. This means that your connection has to share the cable with all other devices on the electrical network. Since they use the side road, so you won't be bothered too much by it. But you can guess, if someone crashes on that side road and comes into your lane (e.g. a defective fridge or microwave or even a faulty splitter) you will notice that. So be prepared. If you are getting problems with this solution, try to find out if another socket works or if something of your electrical equipment is faulty.

So far wifi, well I already explained... But there are some things you could do.

5GHz band
    Migrate from the city to the countryside. For obvious reasons it will be less busy, because the towns are smaller. Because the towns are smaller you will reach less people. So this means that the signal of your Wifi gets weak faster, but won't be bothered as much as the 2,4 GHz band (the one you're on now)

Separate antenna
    Because USB keys and cards in PCs are tucked away you will haven't such a good connection as when you have it on your desk.
    Antenna placement is key at wireless devices, if you see someone it is way easier to shout at them than when they are around the corner!

Hope this helps understanding the problem a bit.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Uncle Lance

Uncle Lance Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.