A team fortress fan site

Discussion in 'General' started by Lord of Olympus, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord of Olympus

Lord of Olympus Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I've had an idea about making a team fortress based fansite, I'm not enterily sure yet and I'm still looking for opinions before I start doing anything at all. It would not be a community with servers or something like that, just a fun site people could visit from time to time (or whenever they feel like) to read interesting articles etc etc. What I would have on the site would be something like this:

• News articles about tf2 (recent updates, happenings/events, "scandals", etc etc), and it would not be like blog posts.
    • We could host events and/or contests. I've found a community that are up for hosting events if necessary, we could give big prizes etc to make people interested in us.
    • A radio station. This I am not (at all) sure of yet, It's a long way to go before I even could consider this honestly, but it's a nice idea.
    • Comment sections for people to discuss the news or other posts made on the site. It wouldn't really be like a forum, because it wouldn't have categories, sub-categories etc etc.
    • More "fun"/silly content. There are uploaded exploit videos on youtube, mostly about new maps, and I thought we could offer that as well on our site. Either in a text description, a video or both (we would probably find our own exploits/whatever instead of copying anything)
    • A community section where people can create accounts (login through steam will be an option): when logged in they can comment on articles (or uploads of any kind), participate in the chat we will have, send PMs, etc etc.

Now you might think that we already have sites for that, such as Reddit, but this project wouldn't really end up like Reddit or similar sites. We will run a system that will have been made from scratch, instead of using stuff like wordpress (not because it's bad) and honestly I don't think I ever recall seen a tf2 site like the one I'm planning on to do. Also this would not be a rival to other communities, instead we will be looking forward to start partnerships with other big tf2 communities out there, while offering them services of course (this is very unclear at the moment).

I took this from my post on Reddit and changed it slightly; if you have any questions feel free to ask. Currently looking for opinions on this project, which is the main reason of this thread. Tell me what you think about it, and if you have any ideas on how to make it better or how to make it stand out feel free to reply or contact me privately.

2. xxsam

xxsam Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    So, written KritzKast podcasts? Sorry, I doubt it would work. TF2 is dwindling, and the playercounts reflect this. CSGO, Dota, LoL, and anything made by Blizzard are more attractive to both communities and the advertisers now, simply due to the huge playerbase and fanbase of those games. Take for example this community. Its not a TF2 community anymore; its more of a CSGO one. This clearly demonstrates how TF2 just isn't worth the time anymore. Also, Reddit is king. Simply having a different system won't be enough to pull people from there.

3. Jozan

Jozan Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    ...I'll have to give it to Sam, he's driving a good argument

TF2 ain't a dead game, though.
    But it still won't be easy to draw people into a new fansite.

4. xxsam

xxsam Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Didn't say it was dead, said it's dwindling. Big difference.

5. Jozan

Jozan Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    'pologies, didn't mean to imply you said it was dead.

It's just that a lot of people cry "tf2 is dead".

6. DaJeroen

DaJeroen Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    It's a good idea, a very good one actually. But I don't think people find this needed at the moment. We got the Kritzkast and TF2 Subreddit which is also very active. I honestly think it's a waste of time to start making this whole thing, atleast right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.