A stupendous computer?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Ixel, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ixel

Ixel Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Well, it's been a while since I posted here and I've now thought of something I can post about! Guess? If you read the topic's title then you've guessed right (I hope), that's right.. my computer!

The basic specifications are:
    - Intel Core i7 5960X overclocked at 4.7GHz (8 cores or 16 threads of immense CPU power :p)
    - ASUS X99 Deluxe
    - 64GB RAM
    - 2 x Titan X's overclocked at 1450MHz core, memory barely overclocked at the moment, cooled with EVGA's Hybrid AIO cooler

I felt the technology couldn't be locked away or hidden inside a computer case, so I opted to set it up on a test bench. Obviously using SSD's as well as conventional HDD's.

Here's some pictures of it: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Thoughts? Or perhaps anyone slightly jealous? :)

2. Ninja Otter

Ninja Otter Cunt Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I think it's overkill tbh. Sure it sounds nice but theres wasted money there. No game in the next few years will require any of that to run, so you could have saved yourself a lot of money and downgraded certain bits. Although not to say it doesn't sound awesome. Although you could have another reason for buying all that, so you might actually need 64GB of RAM idk.

3. Venom

Venom Jozzeh's Kouhai Retired Staff Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    eh, I am indeed jealous.

4. Ixel

Ixel Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Yeah, I have a few good reasons, but primarily...

- It's not just my gaming PC, it's also a home server running a few virtual machines on it, some of which can get busy at times
    - It's going to last me quite a while, years I hope (provided any of the components don't become faulty, especially outside of their warranty)

5. Ninja Otter

Ninja Otter Cunt Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Fair enough, I kinda semi remembered what you did for a living halfway through the post, so I assumed you'd actually make use of the 64GB, rather than being one of those idiots whose like "lol look at how amazing my gaming PC it has 64 GB of RAM" because at that point its just a waste of money. Either way looks nice.

6. Venom

Venom Jozzeh's Kouhai Retired Staff Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Just saying the first thing I noticed from your images, was in the first image, your curtains look beautiful!

7. Pruu

Pruu Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I'd like to jump something like this eventually for heavy rendering, nice though man.

8. Katpolice

Katpolice Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Dam. That's some specs you got their.. Better then mine. By a landslide, in fact. ._.

9. Petrov

Petrov Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Who needs so much power, i'm not jealous!
    And just think at the electric bill!
    And the heat in the summer!
    And...

[​IMG]
    :)

10. Ixel

Ixel Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Ha, well electricity usage should be fine as the Haswell-E is pretty power efficient. Core voltage can drop to negligible levels compared to earlier processor generations, and of course, the clock speed drops as standard and only ramps up as and when it's needed. All in all I believe the system is using around 250 to 350 watts at most when idle or in a near idle. It's near a window so in the summer it will get air, especially as it's not inside a case. Plenty of fans circulating the air, in addition to the CPU and GPU's being cooled with water rather than just air :).

11. F7are

F7are Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Nice rig. Just like others have said, it seems a bit overkill to have your CPUGPU combo unless you're gaming and rendering in 4K aswell. Otherwise it seems like both a cheaper and more component-friendly solution to have the heavy duty processing be offloaded to a central server instead. Putting a weak xeon in an offloader and running an i7 yourself would be a good suggestion.

P.S. If you don't get a decent case within the next six months I will come to your house, smack you in the face a bazillion times and take that setup with me.

12. Archaon Everchosen

Archaon Everchosen Chaos Marks Us All Legacy Admin

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    What a beast ;-;

13. Yoda

Yoda Genuinely crazy Moderator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Do I smell NECRO? :O

A tiny reminder:
    Threads that have been dead (= not posted on) for over 3 months are considered DEAD.
    So posting on these "dead" threads makes you a necromancer. Necromancer might sound cool, but it isnt nice to be seen as one.
    Have a look at the last post before you smash into your keyboard, everyone!
    Try avoiding necroposting in the future! First time doesn't matter, second time is provoking and third time is stupidity. Little rule I made up.

Dont do necroposting, kids!

14. n0name

n0name Administrator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.