Steam Adds More Ways for Workshop Creators to Earn Money

Discussion in 'General' started by Sky, Apr 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sky

Sky Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Open Marketplace for Paid Mod Support Debuts Today on the Skyrim Workshop

April 23, 2015 - Steam now offers new functionality in the Steam Workshop, allowing community mod makers the opportunity to earn money doing what they love. With this update, community-made Workshop content such as mods, items, or maps can now be made available for sale directly via the Steam Workshop for titles that have enabled this feature.

Workshop is now putting mod authors in business via a new streamlined process for listing, selling and managing their creations. Creators contributing to the Steam Workshop have the choice of listing their new creations for sale at a price of their choosing, or to continue to make their work available to players for free. Mods purchased from the Steam Workshop are available immediately for play.

"We think this is a great opportunity to help support the incredible creative work being done by mod makers in the Steam Workshop," says Tom Bui at Valve. "User generated content is an increasingly significant component of many games, and opening new avenues to help financially support those contributors via Steam Workshop will help drive the level of UGC to new heights."

Direct mod sales via the Steam Workshop debuts today with Bethesda Softworks'® award-winning title, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim®, and additional titles will become available across the Steam Workshop in the coming weeks.

Mods on the Skryim Workshop have received more than170 million downloads to date. The thousands of free mods, items, weapons, and quests will continue to be available at the discretion of the players who made them.

Support for mod sales via Steam Workshop is the latest expansion of Workshop in recent weeks. In late January, support was added for third party games to sell in game items created by members of the community. Valve alsoannounced over $57 mil has been paid to community content creators since Workshop debuted in October 2011.

For more information, please visit: www.steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim® ©2011-2013 Bethesda Softworks LLC, a ZeniMax Media company.

2. Pruu

Pruu Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Was just about to post about this.

I love it because...

Hard work gets paid, therefore hard work becomes quality work...

...but...

I hate it because:

The modding community is about to take a very odd turn if they start making this stuff into what is essentially DLC - the modding community is about making a game better by the suggestions, work and dedication of its collective.

Conclusion: I don't know how to feel about it, it's very conflicting.

p.s. TF2 sales in danger, new profit region.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  3. Namaco

Namaco Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Time to make a lot of mods.

4. Dakte

Dakte Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money shitposting money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money

5. Damiensdk

Damiensdk Banned

No thanks, if I wanted to look at a video game character with massive knockers I wouldn't pay for it.

6. Sky

Sky Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    [video=youtube;du7oIjBMY3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du7oIjBMY3Q[/video]

7. Dlauck

Dlauck Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Well it would make people want to make mods but steam would probably find some way to make cash.

8. Pruu

Pruu Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Just saw the 75% cut to steam/valve

bad idea.

9. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I'm with pruu here.

Modders hard work get paid.

But i dont believe i would want to pay any price for just a lets say reskin.

10. Sky

Sky Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
  11. Tomorsomething

Tomorsomething Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    People seem to be really pissed at gaben.

*sigh*

*Deletes wip video*

12. Another Mundy

Another Mundy Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    [​IMG]

"Another fantastic day for capitalism!"

13. Dakte

Dakte Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I like how they use "a hat" as an example in their post. "a hat" will cost less than something something but that still means you gotta pay for a fucking reskin of a hat.
    I don't even play Skyrim but that's a plain shitty idea. Modders getting paid hardly means people will start seeing better mods. Sounds like a delusional capitalist dreamy idea. It doesn't work like that.
    Not on STEAM. Shit idea, valve pls

14. Pruu

Pruu Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I do believe it will throw out more indepth mods, but I also agree that it'll do just the same with people wanting to make a quick squid.

15. Tomorsomething

Tomorsomething Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
  16. Downy

Downy Retired Staff Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Don't celebrate just quite yet, if you read what Erik posted carefully you'll see that they are definitely going to continue this idea, be it in a new game without an established modding community.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.