Forward: My event team resignation

Discussion in 'General' started by xxsam, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxsam

xxsam Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    This is my post in the events hidden subforum regarding my events team resignation - I feel it will be useful for everyone to see.

Couple of relevant screenshots, if you want any more from here, I will provide them while I still can, since I believe in freedom of information.
    http://puu.sh/gmDtb/4df66652e4.png - Leaders and Admins list
    http://puu.sh/gmDw7/da21357b2c.png - Entire subforum, just looking at this is a point in itself.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. chickpoint

chickpoint Awesome Member Legacy Management Moderator

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I think you lost things out of sight a bit here.

As you have noticed we have lost quite some people lately on our event team so this is the main reason why there are more Leaders than Admins at the moment. I am very aware that we need to attract new people for it because this is not enough.

For the events, I am very proud we have could announce our very first event. I actually like it that you pick on that because I got a nice side note for that. We are a new starting event team, so we have a lot to learn and a long way to go. You simply cant start experienced if you don't have it. However if you were "Event Admin" like you were, it doesn't mean you can sit back and relax. We actually never had input from you on what you wanted to see in events or made a plan for an event itself. Actually things were very passive before I took my own strategy to plan some stuff.

So my question for you is, what was your addition to our team? Except for posting where proper events are and make a list with possible event material?

I think this is just a pointless attack which wasn't needed.

Edit: Actually you disappoint me this way, I have expected more and more maturity from you. You and I both know through what we had to go to even be able to host events. Because before we just were tied up and couldn't organize a proper thing without months delay. It is pretty shameful to leave at the moment we post an event and then blame us for doing nothing while you could have helped us too.

3. xxsam

xxsam Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    ~~~

4. xxsam

xxsam Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Define maturity.
    Correct. That's not to say other event possibilities weren't on the table, which of course, I suggested and then got buried. Take a look at TF2Outpost. They didn't use an events server specifically for events most of the time, so that argument is invalid.
    Help you how? There is no outlet for this, nothing in my reach which I can do. Shameful? Nah. I'm not ashamed.
    I probably wouldn't have left if the event announcement wasn't posted today. If it was posted on the 1st/11th of April (depending on which date we are using, since there was a discrepancy there), I would have been fine with it. It's just basic logistics, with the product being the players.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  5. chickpoint

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Well we lost a lot of people because of nothing was happening in our event team because we were tied to some tight boundaries. We know the story and you probably also have seen my other thread on the forums against n0:name. I even managed to attract new people to our event team in the last week.

So far for your screenshot. The 2 post you made were "Sticky: Ideas Collection" (an idea list presented to you before by celeritate) and "Proper Events WHERE THE HELL ARE THEY" (the complaining thread where you responded once and then left it to bleed). So yea I think those were real good attempts. There was nothing to break and we didn't go anywhere because there was nothing. The only moment I saw changes is when I started planning events and asked people to join in.

And I think your opinion about "No-one has done anything yet." is pretty incorrect.
    We managed to:
    • to get access to a proper configurable event server
    • Made our first public event
    • Exploring possibilities for more events
    • Got people excited for the event team
    So if you call that nothing I think you don't know what are you talking about. You are just playing an unfair blame game.

6. Damiensdk

Damiensdk Banned

To be fair, that's not a lot done in the 5+ months you've had. It's been obvious these events were poorly run from all of the old failed attempts.

7. xxsam

xxsam Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    ~~~

8. Downie

Downie CEO of Downcorp Retired Staff Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Just wanna mention.

Then why didn't you try anything?

9. chickpoint

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
  10. chickpoint

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    But I will stop our discussion right here because it doesn't make sense anyway. If you have any constructive ideas I would love to hear this, but for the rest I am not going to respond here anymore. We can't get on the same level and I think it won't happen. So there is no use in continuing. Have a nice evening.

11. OG Under the Dash

OG Under the Dash Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Alright lets put an end to this now. we dont search for another shitstorm. We have accepted your choice of resigning and hope youll attend to some events or at least to the ones you find worthy.

The goal of this thread is plain provocation. Obviously people who spent some time with sam will know he expects alot from others and himself. But that just cant work because its hard to meet his expectations. Comparing us to the tf2outpost community isn't too tactful either.

So I would ask both of you to stop this discussion

12. xxsam

xxsam Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I did previously express interest in hosting a dota 2 based event of similar style. However, that also fell dead. It seems you think that simply not posting equals no interest, which is not the case. This goes back to the point of that a structure is vital to getting events going. If you're not bound to anything rigid, and if punishments do not exist, you're not going to get it done, simply because other things can and will take up that time.

This also applies to Watson's question.

13. xxsam

xxsam Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I have no reason to stop, so I am going to continue. I am not causing a so-called shitstorm, which seems to just mean disagreement nowadays, I am simply pointing out flaws as I see them, be it with the system or your counter arguments.
    The point of this thread is absolutely provocation (root word provoke, see?), yes. It's a good way of getting a discussion (argument), which no-one seems to want, which is a shame.
    True, I expect alot.
    I am not comparing FoG and TF2OP. I am comparing the two seemingly distinct definitions of event found between us, however.

14. Starfish

Starfish Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    I can understand this resignation.
    The leader-admin tier system looks extremely broken.
    It's ridiculous to have that many leaders and it can make the bottom layer feel extremely useless.
    And to be bold about, it does render them useless.

The whole part of scheduling should also be taken into consideration.
    When the jb regulars and myself have an event, we plan it.
    We plan it some days, sometimes even one day, before the event.
    Sam is right about people forgetting it.
    It's not like you're going on a 2-week vacation to Barcelona.
    You're having a community event.

And that's my main point.
    The event team takes itself too highly.
    "Look at all the things we accomplished!"
    If I recall correctly, the last event was in december.
    Right now, all the event team has are those cute little logo's under their names.
    Don't blame sam for not proposing many ideas, if chickpoint is the only person genuinely busy with the events.

Event team, get your shit together.
    (Sorry for the rant)

15. OG Under the Dash

OG Under the Dash Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    So let me put this how it is. The event team gained access to one server today, its cfg files etc.So, the only thing we could do before that was to write an idea down and eventually hope n0name would find time to set up the server . Since n0name was/is/will be busy, we didnt see alot of sense in doing anything further. As mentioned before, today we gained that access and started working immediately and thought it would be nice also letting you know that we are doing something.

16. chickpoint

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Ok, I know I said I wouldn't respond anymore but seriously I think you are the hero of this conversation.

I wan't to post a little side note about the date's laying so far in the future. This is an artifact from the start I made those posts, just to give n0:name enough time to set up the configurations which were needed. Since last week we got access to the event server which causes we are now able to set up our own events. So in the future it really should be possible to host events on shorter term.

And I think I made a mistake here, for the outside I am a member of the event team. So I feel I should defend my team. However Starfish puts it in the right context, that I shouldn't feel offended by this. It is just the fact that I spent a lot of time lately to get things done here, time I rather spent playing. I spent this evening to get the configs done for both the admin gathering and for degrootkeep, so I felt very offended when it wasn't called a proper event. I try to do my best as I can and so far as it goes.

However I Starfish has a valid point, we need to take a good look at our event team. We need more active people around who come up with actual ideas, I just can't run it on my own. I think this will be a path of trail and error, but my opinion is that we are getting somewhere. We will take steps and we will learn but just give us the time to learn. (even if it is 5 months)

17. Wandolf

Wandolf Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    Just make a schedule and stick with it, it's the easiest and most efficent way to do it. Basically, mod A on the first Sunday of the month, mod B on the second Sunday, mod C on the third one, etc. And then every fourth Sunday should be something special, prefferably not related to TF2.

Organization is key, as long as everyone knows when and what the event is, everyone will be pleased.

18. Ninja Otter

Ninja Otter Cunt Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep

Basically this, main reason events were failing before was because n0name had very little time spare, which was put to use elsewhere, this meant proper events couldn't be set up. It's great to see things actually happening now, and if I was actually still playing TF2, I'd probably still be a member of the events team.

Also chick, if you dislike setting up servers, or want to spend your time doing other stuff, you can always ask others for help :) i.e. speak to another member of the event team and try and get them to learn how to do it, then make it their sole responsibility to just set up the server, that way they can contribute no matter what.

19. xxsam

xxsam Member

Steam:
    Steam SteamRep
    See, I would have done plugin management, server setups, livestreaming, etc, for multiple games, but the hierarchy in the event team made this impossible for me to do. If it was one rank to rule them all, then I suspect it would have been different.

And no, this did not rely on a server being setup.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.